Skip to main content
index page

Stupid Creditors

Submitted by goudah2424 on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 10:55
Credits:
[Donate]

So I'm filing chapter 7 bk, I should file the paperwork at the end of march. I was going to hire an attorney, actually I did hire an attorney, paid him over $600 in three months, then realized that at the rate I was going it would take forever before my case would actually be filed ( I had to pay him $1600 before he'd file).

So I decided a month ago I'd have a paralegal do the paperwork and I'd file per se. I have no assets so it's a simple case. I told all my creditors back when I had a lawyer that I was filing, but it would be a few months.

I just got a call from one of my creditors, saying that since I haven't filed yet I needed to make a payment. I told them I was gong to be filing soon, and that I can't afford to pay anything.

The idiot actually tried to tell me it would be better for me to make a payment, that was I wouldn't have to put such a high balance on my bk papers. Huh??? What sense does that make?

He really tried to get me to pay, he was really stupid. He tried to tell me that if I made a payment, maybe I wouldn't need to file. Like I'm filing bk for 1 $1000 loan! He tried to tell me that the courts would look at my bk in a more favorable light if my payments were current. I'd think that would be the opposite. If my payments were all current then I could obviously afford to pay them all!

It's just so frustrating that people can't take no for an answer. I've paid this particular company over $2500 on a $100 loan, and they say I owe $2500! They've got their money back twice already, and yet they still call me and lie about things to try to trick me into a payment!

Goudah ~ when we were filing bankruptcy a couple of years ago, our attorney would not actually file the case until we had him practically paid off too, but he told me to have my creditors call him and he would verify it to them to get them to leave us alone. It took us about 8 months to get him paid so he could file, but in the mean time, he did let our creditors know what we were doing.

Submitted by 2nband on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 11:15

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

I have been having the same problem with a few of my creditors. I had one ask me why I hadn't filed ye t and when I told her that I was still paying off the attorney she said that I had plenty of time to pay him off and she needed a payment. I told her that if I could pay my attorney I certainly could have paid her. She then proceeded to tell me a bold face lie that the # to my attorney's creditor line was disconnected! I called my attorney and told his office about this and they were ready when she called them. I just don't have all of the funds to file as yet, but I am slowly sending money in and I will file.

Submitted by Colleen H Carrocia on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 15:12

Colleen H Carrocia

( Posts: 1117 | Credits: )

I'm in the same situation . . . It's expensive to file.

The loan I was talking about isn't a pdl, it's an installment loan, but it's very similar to pdl's. It has super high interest. It is totally legal in my state so I can't do anything about it. I was stupid enough to agree to it, even though I thought I'd have it paid off in a month. A year and a half later and $2500 . . . .

How their loans work is you can "refinance" the loan if you can't make the payment . . . What I didn't realize but should've bothered to read in the contract is they don't refinance the amount the loan is currently at, but the amount you would pay if you only made the minimums. So a $100 loan at 299% ( I think, I can't remember the exact amount of interest, it varied, payable in 6 installments of $59 each, would be paying a total of $354. So when I refinanced it only 2 months later because I didn't want to be late on my payment, they refinanced a total of $236. That changed my payments to $89 for 6 more months. There were several other times I couldn't make my monthly payment, so I refinanced. That's how it got up so high. Really it was only up to $1050, but then I defaulted and now the interest has made it ballon to a balance of $2500.

They told me that every time they called my lawyer they referred them to their website. Which I know my lawyer did because I've had several creditor tell me that. Most of them did stop calling me, and the lawyer did send a couple cease and desist letters, but it's been 4 months now, and I thought I'd have the money to file in November 06, but my dog got sick.

Submitted by goudah2424 on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 15:39

goudah2424

( Posts: 7935 | Credits: )

So when I talked to this guy, I told him I'd be filing at the end of April at the latest.

Last night I recieved a summons. They are taking me to small claims court. Even though they know i'm filing for BK in a month. I'm so pissed off. If they get a judgement then I won't be able to afford to file for BK.

I have 14 days to answer. Is there anything I can do? Even if I save every penny from now til then I still won't have enough to have the paralegal do the paperwork, and the $300 for the filing fee.

Submitted by goudah2424 on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 06:45

goudah2424

Will the paralegal work with you on payments? If so, then they might be able to contact these people and verify that yes you are filing. I don't know if that would help or not, but worth a try. They are trying to get you before you file. I would do some checking though about the payments to the paralegal. Maybe if you give them something, they will start the ball rolling a little and may be able to help get you out of this. Worth a try.

Submitted by 2nband on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 06:51

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

Goudah...if you go to court and are in the active process of filing bankruptcy you should not get a judgement...HAve you told your bankruptcy lawyer? Once you begin filing you have an automatic stay on any collection activity until you case is either discharged or dismissed

Submitted by Leah on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 06:52

Leah

( Posts: 2322 | Credits: )

I'm doing it pro se. The funny thing is that I told them 3 months ago I was filing and they contacted my lawyer then and left me alone.

I called them about 3 weeks ago to tell them that I decided to file pro se and am not using that attorney anymore, and now they go and sue me!

So they have verified that I'm filing with the other attorney. I think they are just trying to beat me to it now that I don't have a lawyer.

What does "active process" of filing for bk mean? Would saving up money for BK mean active process?

Submitted by goudah2424 on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 06:59

goudah2424

Go to http://www.uscourts.gov/ . Click on the bankruptcy section and read everything. You can use in former paupis to file. This is a additional form telling court you cannot pay fee at the present time. Now mind you I don't know what the 2005 amendment did to this so you will have to read up on it at the site.

Submitted by cajunbulldog on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 07:33

cajunbulldog

( Posts: 4850 | Credits: )

I went there and read through everything really fast . . . It seems that if you file an emergency petition, you have to submit the rest of the paperwork within 15 days. I also couldn't find the cost of the emergency petition . . . If I use the forms to pay in installments, I think I could file for bk on or about April 10th . . . . That also depends on how long it takes for the preparer to do the paperwork. I feel I could do it myself, but I'm just scared that I'll mess up on something and get the whole case thrown out.

Since I have 14 days from yesterday to answer my summons, how should I do this? According to the summons I recieved I have 3 options:

1. Pay up
2. Demand a hearing
3. Demand a jury trial

1 is not an option. Do I demand a hearing and then tell the judge that I'm filing for bk? I'm just worried about timing . . . . .

Submitted by goudah2424 on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 08:44

goudah2424

That's what I was thinking . . . . If I wait til almost the 14 day to respond, then I'd have 6 weeks from then to get the BK filed, which shouldn't be a problem.

Cajun - Here's a odd one for you. I just tried to check my experian credit report and answered the security questions wrong . . . It asked me if I had a car loan and who through. I don't and haven't for years, so I said none of the above. It wouldn't let me access my report.

Now the creditor that is sueing me was listed as one of the options. But it isn't a car loan or anything to do with a car.

Submitted by goudah2424 on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 10:17

goudah2424

If I told you how often reports are merged or split,I may have to pickup both of you from floor. If you have a popular name or have family with similar names,it is very easy to get stuck with that. My wife had her moms debts listed and my sister in law had her fathers debt listed. This was back in 1997 when we did a pull before buying a home.

Submitted by cajunbulldog on Fri, 03/23/2007 - 06:39

cajunbulldog

( Posts: 4850 | Credits: )