Skip to main content
index page

Chapter 13 Questions

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 18:24
Credits:
[Donate]

I'm not really up to date on the new bankruptcy laws but the lawyer recommended to my husband that he possibly filed Chapter 13 to help stop this lawsuit and to get other things in order. We are current on the first mortgage. He does have a loan that is co-signed by his mother? How does this work in a Chapter 13? Would it be better if she puts it in her name only? I really don't think she would have a problem with this. Secondly, how does the unsecured debt get paid?

Unsecured debt? are you speaking of credit cards and things of that nature? If so, you only pay a percentage of the debt and the payments would come directly from your paycheck to the trustee and then the trustee pays the debts from your payments.

I believe this is how it works :shock: Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

Submitted by brownsugar on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 18:27

brownsugar

( Posts: 1389 | Credits: )

Quote:

He does have a loan that is co-signed by his mother? How does this work in a Chapter 13? Would it be better if she puts it in her name only?

I'm sitting here reading a brochure about Ch 13 and it does say that your cosigners receive the same protection that you receive under Ch 13. It will protect your cosigners from collection activity, while you are in your repayment plan.

Submitted by brownsugar on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 18:34

brownsugar

( Posts: 1389 | Credits: )

But does it go on their credit reports? I'm so tired and stressed right now. I'm being so whiny. I'm about ready to smack my husband because he is sleeping LOL! I get myself so worked up over things sometimes. I guess we can talk further with the lawyer on this. We didn't get into much of bankruptcy talk this morning. He would do a payment plan too since there is only one income in the house basically.

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 18:38

Cow & Chicken

( Posts: 3571 | Credits: )

I would think not because your hubby is the main person listed on the loan. So it would hit his credit report not hers because she is not the one filing. I could be wrong because I never filed chapter 13 we filed chapter 7.

And lol on the smacking. When this is all over you can be the one sleeping instead of him.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 19:11

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

Well, the first thing I need to do is respond to the summons. A good friend has given me a lot of good ideas on that. Then, I call the stupid lawyer's office tomorrow representing Beneficial to see what can be worked out. Then, we will talk to the lawyer further about Chapter 13. I'm in much need of sleep. Thanks everyone for your help :-)

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Tue, 03/06/2007 - 19:27

Cow & Chicken

Your CR will show that you are paying the debt back under a chpt. 13 repayment plan. I did a chpt. 13 and actually I have not had any problems with my credit, it actually improved. And they take the payments from your paycheck (garnish) and it goes to the trustee who pays your bills listed in your plan. It isn't difficult.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Wed, 03/07/2007 - 07:57

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. We have been able to make payment arrangments on this dang Beneficial account. We are still going to meet with a laywer to dicuss a possible Chapter 13 payment plan. We will be able to avoid a lawsuit by working with their attorney. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Wed, 03/07/2007 - 09:01

Cow & Chicken

I really wish you good luck on this.

Anon

Submitted by on Fri, 03/09/2007 - 07:12

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Mishele - the payment plan is not difficult to complete at all, since it comes right out of your paycheck. You may have a little problem adjusting to the reduced income, but that can all be overcome with some budgeting, once you know what your new income amount will be after the plan payments are taken out.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 03/09/2007 - 09:45

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Well my husband would actually be the one filing, not me. I went through a Chapter 7 a few years ago. Hubby has a lot of unsecured debt, mainly past medical bills so we'll see what the attorney says next week. We have everything together on our end though. He did mention that his mother would be notified but it shouldn't go on her credit report. I talked to her about it last night and she said she would just pay the loan off. I told her it wasn't necessary but I don't think she wants to see her baby have to through all of this crap. It's something that will require a lot of thought and discussion though.

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Fri, 03/09/2007 - 10:21

Cow & Chicken

Wow, that's a very generous offer on his mom's part, but I certainly understand her wanting to help out. Talk it over with your husband and his mom and see how this might affect things down the road. You don't need any negative effect on the relationship between your husband and his mom from this.

PM me if you need to talk. :D

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 03/09/2007 - 15:27

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Quote:

I'm so tired and stressed right now.

Believe me,You are not alone.

Our sitution is such, we are okay on our
secured debt, but have had to let our
unsecured debt go.

When we first got behind on the unsecured
debt,(before accounts were turned over to
CA's), we sought the advice of an Attorney
about filing chapter 13.
This was right before the Laws changed.

The Attorney told us, we would be obligated
to pay 100% of our unsecured debt because
we have equity in our home.

We made the decison not to file chapter 13
because if we could pay 100%, there would be no need for our having to file chapter 13.
Plus, we would have lost control over our money.

After the Attorney did her calculations, we would have had little money to live on.

Now, we are at the point, two years later
where we may not have a choice.
No law-suits yet, but because we have assets, I am quite sure we will be sued in the near future.

Submitted by on Sat, 03/10/2007 - 06:54

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )