Skip to main content
index page

who do I owe?

Submitted by on Thu, 04/05/2007 - 04:51
Credits:
[Donate]

Okay....I'm trying to get things together to file chapter 7. My problem is, I don't know who I owe, and I don't want to leave anyone out. I know who the original creditors are...but all the accounts have been charged off. Since I have moved a couple times in the last couple years, I don't have any statements from collection agencies. Now I can track down 2 of the 4, because they have contacted Me by phone. what I'm concerned about, is the other 2. I have pulled credit reports, and see no collectors listed. How can I find out if the 2 accounts have been sold, or sent to collections, and to whom?

If they aren't listed on your credit report, there's not much you can do, other than call the original creditor and ask if they have records on who they sold it to...

However, you will also be glad to know that a Chap 7 filing "blankets" any unsecured debt that you have, whether you specifically include them or not. I can't quote you the specific laws; but I can tell you I have had accounts that went bankrupt and didn't include me in their filing ... At first thought, I assumed I could collect since I wasn't included. To be safe, I ran it by my attorney. He told me don't even try it, I was included whether I knew of the filing or not.

Just list the original creditor on your matrix, and by virtue of the debt itself being discharged, any of it's assignees will be holding worthless paper.

Submitted by DebtCruncher on Thu, 04/05/2007 - 06:34

DebtCruncher

( Posts: 2293 | Credits: )