Skip to main content
index page

Will pdls get discharged under Chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Submitted by Sassnlucy on Wed, 04/11/2007 - 15:43
Credits:
[Donate]

I got married in 2000 and filed chapter 7 in 2002 because of some debts I accrued prior to my marriage. Since we have been married, my husband has had 3 major surgeries. We have insurance but still have huge medical bills for what insurance didn't cover. They have all since gone into collections. We do own a home we bought in 2001 but we got a bad deal on it-when we went to close, the payment was like $200 more than we had been told it would be. We went ahead and signed anyway because we had already moved out of where we were renting and were staying with my mother in law until we could move into our new house. Due to the medical issues of my husband he has been off work quite a bit and we fell way behind. We were able to purchase a used car for him in 2004 I think and like an idiot last year I just had to have a new car too so i got a used car while I left a perfectly good used van parked in the driveway. We have had 2 judgements filed against us-one for medical bills and the other for a cc my husband had at Lowe's. I pay both places $50 a month. Due to my stupidity, in 2005 I got 4 cc's because I had good credit. I maxed all of them out buying stuff I didn't need. I was making payments fine till my husband was injured and was off work for 3 months again then fell behind on my payments. I started getting pdl's to make ends meet and that brings me to today. Both our cars are on the verge of getting repossessed. By the grace of God we are current on the house payment. I think Chapter 13 bankruptcy is the only hope for us. I am wondering if anyone has any experience they would like to share with me. Were you able to keep everything? We want to keep the house, my van, and an old car my husband has. We are willing to let the 2 cars go back to the bank because we don't want car payments anymore. Will the pdl's get discharged, or at least be included in the payment plan? I am in Ohio. I would appreciate anything that anyone would like to share with me.

As far as I know, you can't file for bankruptcy again until six years are over from the last filing date.

Speak with a bankruptcy attorney about your situation. In case, this is not the option, try consolidation or settlement with your creditors. This might be the best thing according to your present situation. Read the link below and speak with a debt counselor for fixing a suitable repayment plan.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/debt-solution.html

Submitted by Trenity on Wed, 04/11/2007 - 15:58

Trenity

( Posts: 505 | Credits: )

Hm maybe we want to keep our cars then? I really hate to lose my car. Ok here is another question. My husband has this car that is not street legal, it is set up for the drag strip and not worth much due to that. Are they going to let him keep it? Because I can't file if they will take it away. Thanks everyone that has helped me so far. I am nervous but I know this is what I need to do.

Submitted by Sassnlucy on Wed, 04/11/2007 - 17:51

Sassnlucy

( Posts: 2698 | Credits: )

Yes, you can keep your cars and house. They will keep the payments current and make monthly payments on what the arrearages are. Same with the mortgage payment. They pay the current month and then make a payment towards the arrearage. You will include them in your chpt. 13 plan and they will become apart of the budget you pay the trustee.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Wed, 04/11/2007 - 18:17

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )