Share post
member profile picture
Posts: 44
Credits: 0

Here's an interesting question.

My partner and I are not married but we do have a son and live together. We have been careful for many years to keep our money separate. She makes a deposit into my account every week and we do not commingle any of our other money. She has her credit, I have mine.

The money is deposited from her account into mine and it is clear where it is coming from - and we have years of bank records.

So, if I were to declare bankruptcy how would this be treated? Would I qualify for bankruptcy?

You would need to pass the means test for your state. You might be treated as a family unit...make an appointment with a local attorney for a free consultation.

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 09/19/2013 - 17:09

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17272 | Credits: )

Your eligibility for filing Bankruptcy depends on the type of case you file. You need to pass the "Means Test" to file under Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. If your current income is less than the median income of a family in your state, then you can file under Chapter. In case you don't, you can file under Chapter 13, where you pay off a part of your debt over time with your disposable income. Well, two important things are included as a part of your qualification criteria- mandatory credit counseling and budget analysis.

Sub: #2 posted on Wed, 11/13/2013 - 06:22

Renee Brown Renee Brown

(Posts: 18 | Credits: )

More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.862 seconds.