Share post
member profile picture
Posts: 1
Credits: 0

My friend passed away recently. But she has left a huge debt after her death, and it's impossible for her son to pay it off. He is only 17. Can he file bankruptcy? What's the way out?

Tricky situation. The lad is going through a lot. He is only 17. Lost her mom. Has to deal with a huge amount of debt at such a young age. If you have no problem, you can be his 'next best friend' and file bankruptcy on his behalf since he is legally incompetent. You have to attend the creditors meeting and complete all the other formalities.

Sub: #1 posted on Mon, 07/23/2018 - 04:30

Nick Jonas Nick Jonas

(Posts: 425 | Credits: )

Yes it is true, children can be held responsible for a deceased parent's unpaid debts. But as he is legally a minor, as a rule, those debts should be paid from her mothers' estate. As per the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), family members typically are not responsible to pay off unpaid debts of a dead family member from their own assets. If the debts can't be paid off due to insufficient assets, in most cases those debts will be wiped out.

Sub: #2 posted on Thu, 07/26/2018 - 05:41

tiarajoseph11 tiarajoseph11

(Posts: 467 | Credits: )

2 things can happen, you can file bankruptcy on behalf of that little guy or the court will repay the creditor from his mother's estate. Try to talk to a lawyer to get the best opinion in this case.

Sub: #3 posted on Thu, 07/26/2018 - 06:15

sanderspatricia29 sanderspatricia29

(Posts: 1234 | Credits: )

More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.736 seconds.