Skip to main content
index page

Filed bankruptcy, contacted by a DC

Submitted by mvezza on Mon, 04/26/2010 - 21:20
Credits:
[Donate]

I filed bankruptcy pro se back in January and I've yet to receive a ruling on my case. Even when I check my court's automated case information system it stills says "Awaiting First Meeting," which actually occurred back in February.

I haven't received any letters or notices from the court regarding any ruling or dismissal/discharge of my case. April 19 was the deadline for creditors to file an objecting to my discharge/filing of bankruptcy, none of which did, but today I received a collection notice from a DC representing one of my creditors.

What does this mean? Has there been a dismissal of my case and I haven't received official word yet? Or have they simply made a gaffe?

They screwed up. is this debt listed on your BK? if it was not included then they can call you and still try to collect. But if the debt is listed on the BK then they can NOT contact you to try to collect. It is their fault that they missed the deadline and I would bring that up wth the judge also. Document every time they try to contact you. And if you do speak with them inform them that this debt is included in the BK and they are not allowed to discuss anything about it with you.

Submitted by Count_Vlad on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 06:22

Count_Vlad

( Posts: 356 | Credits: )

I checked again with the court's automated case file info system and my case is still listed as "Waiting First Meeting." I tried reaching the BK agency this morning (and yes, the creditor they represent is listed on my BK case) but they gave me the run around and call back later at this XYZ number, etc etc. I filed a complaint with the FTC to be safe.

Submitted by mvezza on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 06:25

mvezza

( Posts: 67 | Credits: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
May I ask how you checked on your BK? I filed and would like to know the website where I can check the progress?

I live in NJ and they have an automated Voice Case Information system that electronically provides information on cases and their current status.

Submitted by mvezza on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 08:01

mvezza

It was actually a novel experience calling them on the phone - the letter states they are a debt collection agency representing XYZ, but when I told them they needed to stop contacting me they claimed THEY were the original creditor I said "horsesh*t" (not literally), since XYZ bought ABC, which was the company I started my lease with. I filed a complaint with the FTC.

Submitted by mvezza on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 20:20

mvezza