Skip to main content
index page

remodify 2nd before filing chapt 7 and how?

Submitted by on Wed, 04/28/2010 - 20:36
Credits:
[Donate]

I will be filing chapt 7 shortly but have a question about 2nd mortgage. I'm current on both 1st and 2nd because we need to keep our home, for a disabled child, but would like to modify the 2nd and 1st if possible from ARM to fixed. 1st is with bank of america 2nd with GMAC. Should i approach the lenders before filing and do I need to reaffirm both?

If you have the required score and adequate equity on your property, you can refinance both the loan into one fixed rate mortgage. And, you would need to reaffirm the loan when filing ch 7 and continue making regular payments to it to keep the house.

Submitted by SC on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 04:22

SC

( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I will be filing chapt 7 shortly but have a question about 2nd mortgage. I'm current on both 1st and 2nd because we need to keep our home, for a disabled child, but would like to modify the 2nd and 1st if possible from ARM to fixed. 1st is with bank of america 2nd with GMAC. Should i approach the lenders before filing and do I need to reaffirm both?

Be careful here. If you are close on the means test, lowering your bill on this could make you unable to file ch. 7. I am over the median income and got a modification on my first which is saving me about $900 a month. That's great, but with the reduced mortgage I am having a really hard time passing the means test to be able to do a ch. 7. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. If you are under the median income or can pass the means test with a reduced payment go for it. My first and second are BofA. I got a making home affordable mod. on the first through them but it took a long time. I waited and waited to file the bk because everybody told me that a bk might mess up the mod. Nobody really knew it could work the other way.

Good luck to you.

Submitted by on Thu, 05/13/2010 - 16:50

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )