Skip to main content
index page

Is bankruptcy my best option?

Submitted by on Tue, 06/01/2010 - 17:11
Credits:
[Donate]

I currently have very very low income. I'm a mom of 4 kids, renting a townhouse and my pay rate is 12 per hour. I made much more at previous job, however was laid off almost 19 months ago from there.
I have several medical bills, roughly 8,000, all in collections and unable to make payments now.
I have 3 old bank accounts that are in rears. Roughly 3,000 debt from these, all in collections.
I have several old utility bills that are owed and in collections, roughly about 5,000 or 6K of those.
As I said, I rent, van is old and paid off, no credit cards or loans (other than student) I am currently in school part time and work full time.
My credit score is horrid of course b/c of all the late bills. I'm thinking that this is my best bet at this point. I can't get a credit card, car loan, or anything. Can't even really open a checking acct.
My biggest fear is that I work for a hospital and some of the medical bills are from the hospital. I've tried to contact them about getting assistance but nothing returned as far as the communication.

anyone??

Submitted by on Tue, 06/01/2010 - 22:12

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Mom of 4,
what state are you in? I would definitely call the hospital and try to get a hold of someone....i would spend my time doing this. It sounds like you could perhaps get some type of state assistance being that you only make $12 hour and have 4 kids. We have what we call IMS (Indigent medical services) here in CA....go to them and tell them you cannot pay. Call all your creditors and tell them your situation and see what can be done. I don't know what you mean by bank accounts...do you mean bank loans? read the debt settlement section here to see if any of the suggestions apply to you. I know you must be tired, but you need to explore your options and post on several forums here to get advice....cut and paste. Call the utility companies too! also read the forum on BK here....some have been able to do it themselves or explore "legal aid" in your community...they are a low cost legal alternative.....keep reading and posting....someone will answer!!1

Submitted by on Wed, 06/16/2010 - 01:18

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )