Skip to main content
index page

Renter's question concerning heat

Submitted by bea2ls on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 12:37
Credits:
[Donate]

Hello, i have a question. I have posted here about questions conerning my landlord before and I honestly do not know how to handle this one. First keep in mind that I am most likely going to be late this month. That's my first hurdle and it's what makes this complicated.
My apartment is a three story house, i rent the first floor. We do not pay heat but also do not have control over the heat. Ever since people have moved upstairs it is uncomfortably hot in my house. It is about 50 degrees outside today but over 80 degrees inside the house. We share a theromator with the people upstairs and whoever puts it on higher basically controls the heat. It is heated by a raditor (the emergency switch does not work and we used to turn it off downstairs - in the basement but that does not seem to work neither. also, we are unable to turn off the radiator as that does not work.)
My landlord complains when we put a fan in the window but the heat is unbearable and I very worried about my crate-trained dog who has to sit in here. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have posted a similar post in December but that was the heat did not work at all. And like I said I am going to be late with rent so i do not want to push it. And my landlord is pretty understanding, i just do not get why the people upstairs feel the need to crank up the heat and leave the house for hours at a time.

update, i talked to my landlord and he said he will be by tommorow night as it is unsafe for the emergency switch not to work. yea no kidding :( like i said i am going to be late and do not want to push any buttons here.. i just am still unsettled by this and am very concerned about my dog.

Submitted by bea2ls on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 12:43

bea2ls

( Posts: 3840 | Credits: )

well my landlord fixed my heat. but it's like, i do not know.. he called me four times but i missed his calls because i was in a very important meeting. i came home and there he was complaining about my messy apartment (i would have cleaned if i had known he was coming in!) can he even do this? he just let himself in with no notice, it made me very uncomfortable..

Submitted by bea2ls on Thu, 02/05/2009 - 11:36

bea2ls

did you two agree on a time for him to come and deal with the switch?maybe that's what he was calling on first.when it comes to a safety issue like that he if not able to contact will go in himself.about the messy apartment.unless your moving soon he shouldn't be concerned.

Submitted by paulmergel on Thu, 02/05/2009 - 11:40

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

he did not fix anything and will have to come back! he always "stops by" to fix stuff, but i am normally home and he lets himself in the basement without going through my apartment so i do not mind. this time the outside basement lock was frozen shut. again this is something that was broken since i moved in last april and he still did not fix it today. he is so nosey, i remember when i had a close friend coming over everyday because he was going through family troubles. my nosey landlord kept calling and asking why he isn't on the lease, yet the people upstairs can have parties and never take out the trash.
sorry i guess i need to vent.. i do know NJ has a 24 hour notice law unless it's an emergency, which it really wasn't. but i am kinda over it now.. i was more startled than anything!

Submitted by bea2ls on Thu, 02/05/2009 - 11:49

bea2ls

I use to manage apartments when I lived in KS. I had to give my tenants 24 hours notice when either myself or my maint. person was coming by. If they were not home, with giving notice, I had the right to enter their apartment. The only time I made mention to a tenants apartment was when it was a safety/health risk or there was something that was majorily damaged. As long as your apartment was not a safety or health risk, it is none of his business and he should not have said anything to you.

I do agree with paul, the phone calls you missed might had been your landloard trying to reach you in regards to coming into your apartment. Hopefully he left you a message. If he had told you that he would be by the next evening, it could be said that you knew he was coming by. Usually things had to be in writing, well that is what I did to protect myself.

Personally, it would seem like it was about time to move if you have a landlord like this. Did he say why he didn't fix anything? Just because you apartment was not cleaned the way he "thought" it should be, he still should have fixed the problem.

Submitted by 2nband on Fri, 02/06/2009 - 09:57

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

more landlord drama.. i told him i would rent another unit for him, it was nicer had a fenced in yard, nicer part of town and i know he never heads out that way.. problem is i no longer have the money because of events that came up over the past week or so.
mind you he has been showing my apartment for the past few days (no lease was signed and i am still here until april!) i am kinda scared to tell him i wish to stay. the truth is i cannot afford it at this point, its $50 more a month and $200 extra up front. i cannot afford to move with a different landlord as i will not get this security deposit back in time to move somewhere else. i am scared he will get so mad at me than he will not renew my lease but he is pretty hard up for money so maybe not.
i just hate conflict and really wish i did not tell him i would move! i know there are some landlords here, any opinions? he is showing the place again at 5:30 today and im trying to catch him before than..

Submitted by bea2ls on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 10:00

bea2ls

well he's cool about that, he said never to worry about him lol. i guess he's alright but he's so annoying! lol. i recently got a puppy, she was kinda thrown at me and i have to tell him today :( he doesnt mind dogs though, won't be upset. but i haven't had heat again for over 24 hours and like i said i have a puppy and a dog and it's so cold at night. he said it will "hopefully" be fixed today. hopefully?!?! i am going to talk to him.. i cannot afford to move in april and it's not right! the heater needs to be REPLACED, ya know?

Submitted by bea2ls on Tue, 02/17/2009 - 06:21

bea2ls