Skip to main content
index page

Vet Care

Submitted by bea2ls on Mon, 05/18/2009 - 08:41
Credits:
[Donate]

I have a quick question.. I have a dog who I loved to death :) but lately I have been so poor and it has been so hard to make ends meet.. i just wanted some opinions on this. He needs shots soon and is a tiny bit behind on some preventative care.. nothing major but it is a good $150.00 at least for this. my vet will not work out payment plans. do most vets do that? my vet is pretty cheap for my area - $35 office visit, and maybe $10 or so per shot. But my dog needs heartworm meds and to be tested for other things. i know petco has a clinic but i do not have any idea if it's even worth it. i do not know how most vets work as i have been going to this one for awhile. :( please do not think i'm a bad owner, my dog is really well fed and taken care of.. i've just been so broke i have no idea how to get money for the vet. i guess my question is, do most vets work with you? health insurance is a no since i still need the money upfront and (as someone rudely suggested!) there is no way i'm getting rid of my dog as i love him. i just do not have any idea how to find a vet who could work out a payment plan.. this is literally keeping me up at night :(

Our vet works with us, but have been with her for over 10 years. The cost you mentioned are really cheap. I think what I would do is, call the local Pet Aid, or whatever it is called in your area. There are places all around here at one time or another that do some of the shots,rabies for example, for like five bucks at a mobile location. Some vets even do this on occasion at traveling locations. We live in a small town,also, so your area, or one close to it may have this service.

When my dog need shots and I don't have money, or other vet services, I do the most important one first-like rabies, heartworm, etc, as I get some money.

Submitted by Bossy4455 on Mon, 05/18/2009 - 08:56

Bossy4455

( Posts: 5854 | Credits: )

the prices are pretty cheap - i have seen this vet for about a year, my previous one retired (my previous one worked with me..) but like i said i just do not have it upfront :( i considered getting shots and stuff one at a time but i would have to pay the $35 visit each time.. he really is healthy, only about two years old (we adopted him so the exact age is unknown..)
he really just needs to be up to date with prevenative care, which is something i take very seriously. i am going to look into the clinic they have at petco i think.. i really rather use my vet but if he will not work with me, i guess i do not have a choice :( it's the heartworm meds that really upset me because he has to be retested (a yearly test) and than i have to purchase them..

Submitted by bea2ls on Mon, 05/18/2009 - 09:05

bea2ls

( Posts: 3840 | Credits: )

Don't listen to heartless people, they have no clue what they're talking about. As pet owners and lovers we do the best we can to care for our pets but sometimes (unfortunately) money is an issue, not our fault. Heck, I even go without the care of a Dr. because of money issues, that's just life I suppose. :?

Submitted by Shazzers on Mon, 05/18/2009 - 09:23

Shazzers

( Posts: 17344 | Credits: )

I just went thru this myself...difference is I have TWO...so obviously, everything is twice as much...

I searched around...I found a private vet and called Banfield (inside Petsmart) too, and discovered they have "clinic hours" where they either reduce or do not charge for the the office visit...however, the vaccine prices where much higher... :shock:

I called back my vet and specifically asked about vaccine shots and to my surprise, they said for routine shots there is no office visit charge!! :shock: :shock:

They never told me this before!! As it turns out, it was cheaper to go to my vet to have the shots done.

I have heard that the Humane Society does offer clinics for vaccinations, so you'll need to call them and find out when they offer them...usually once a month.

Shop around, do your homework...any you're a good mommy to be concerned about your pet's well being...you're doing the best you can...it will be alright! Hugs!

Submitted by desperatelyseekingsanity on Mon, 05/18/2009 - 09:25

desperatelyseekingsanity

( Posts: 1129 | Credits: )

my bassett is 12 yrs old. he needs emergency treatment.his gums are pale and he doesnt want to eat.looks to be llosing weight, i have no money at this time..but he for the last 12 yrs has been my solitude,my companion, and my friend. i need to help him soon or he will die..what can i do..i need help fast !

Submitted by on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 07:33

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )