Skip to main content
index page

?? About Attorneys with debt collection Agencies

Submitted by jbtemtp on Wed, 01/31/2007 - 12:26
Credits:
[Donate]

Once A pay off has been aggreed upon and the actual debt this attorney is representing is taken care of, how is the attorney paid? Does my original debtor pay him? I sure as hell am not giving him any money.

If the attorney in question represents a CA, regardless if he is in private practice or works for the CA, the CA is going to pay him. You may be sending your payment to the attorney where he will process the payment. Even if an attorney is acting on behalf of a creditor directly , or owns the debt himself, your aren't paying the attorney, you're satisfying the debt. Unless you go to court and attorney fees are attached, that's the only scenario I can think of.

Submitted by fjv4 on Wed, 01/31/2007 - 12:32

fjv4

( Posts: 62 | Credits: )

i faced similar kind of problem,i took a loan at the time of buying a new house, i unable to pay my debt few months, daily i am getting a phone call from debit agency, they harassed, many times a met that people and explain my problems, atlast i found good consumer advocate,
now i can control the collectors.

Submitted by shyamprasad_5292001 on Sun, 02/04/2007 - 21:37

shyamprasad_5292001

( Posts: 2 | Credits: )

Attorney collectors are generally paid by a percentage of what they collect or a salary if employed by the CA or original creditor. Sometimes they buy old debts and are paid when they collect. If you are working out a settlement with an attorney, if attorney fees are not part of the settlement, then you should not have to pay them. Normally they can only attempt to add attorney fees when they have taken some kind of legal action against you. Even then, you can negotiate the terms of your settlement.

Remember to get your settlement agreement in writing.

Submitted by texaslawyer on Mon, 02/05/2007 - 19:13

texaslawyer

( Posts: 258 | Credits: )