Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Collection agencies and creditors forums

5 Year Old Debt is trying to collect 3x original amount!

member profile picture

We have a veternarian that we took our pet to in 11/2003. The total due at that point was close to $700. Fast forward to 8/2005 - since that time we received no statements, collection letters, etc, and my wife feeling bad about the original debt sends a check for $100 (which includes our then current address at the time). 6 months later we move from TN to MN, with mail forwarding in place for 1 year. Jump ahead to July 2008 when we receive a letter from a collection agency demanding a balance of $1461.09. I send the default letter proving the debt, and they sent their journal ledger for our account showing the almost $600 balance, then written to the side is the amount of $1461.09.

We never signed any statement regarding collection actions or fees; the only thing my wife signed says:

I hereby authorize the veterinarian to examime, prescribe for, or treat the above described pet. I assume responsibility for all charges incurred in the care of this animal. I also understand that these charges will be paid at the time of release and that a deposit may be required for surgical treatment."

I do not feel anything beyond the original debt is lawful, plus they've had 5 years to contact us regarding the debt and have not done so. I know it's within the statute of limitations, but what is the proper way to fight back and only pay what I owe?

The response they sent is not valid since they did not provide detail account for the $861.09 in additional charges. Send them another letter asking that they justify the charges, including the authority to assess them.

Sub: #1 posted on Wed, 09/03/2008 - 00:10


What's the name of the collection agency?

Sub: #2 posted on Wed, 09/03/2008 - 05:00

Shazzers Shazzers
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17345 | Credits: )

It's a local company in Memphis called Sharp-Jackson Collection Service

Sub: #3 posted on Wed, 09/03/2008 - 19:29


I would strongly suggest disputing the portion of the debt in excess of the original amount. They may be allowed to access interest if your state laws allow it however something still seems strange to me.

Sub: #4 posted on Thu, 09/04/2008 - 18:03

(Posts: 2934 | Credits: )

More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.785 seconds.