Skip to main content
index page

Collection Agency Won't Work With Me Terrified of a Lawsuit

Submitted by desperateinz on Tue, 03/26/2013 - 19:56
[Donate]

Hi,

This is the first time I have posted here. I had a debt turned over to a collection agency called CPS Security in San Antonio. The debt is for some purchases made on the easy pay type plans offered by shopping channels, where they bill your credit card each month for x number of payments. Due to just about everything in my life going wrong all at the same time, suddenly out of the blue, starting with a car wreck and going way down hill from there, my credit card became maxed out and my savings were depleted so when they attempted to make the future payments these were declined. Please don't lecture me, I feel bad enough about this, and I'm not kidding I am on the edge. I will have the money to pay them off completely by early July, and in the meantime I would like to send smaller payments each month to show I am serious and intend to pay this in full, but it is completely impossible for me to pay off the full balance now, I do not have it anywhere and I cannot get it in any way unless I kill myself and make them the beneficiary of the small life insurance policy I have (and no, I am not even thinking about doing that, a loan is out of the question, and I don't own a home or car or anything of value I could sell, and I can't go out and get a part time job as I am sole caregiver of an elderly parent). I sent them one payment with a letter explaining I could only make small payments for a couple of months but would have this paid in full by July, and they credited the payment to the balance but ignored the letter. They refuse to work with me. If I call them they are rude, they hang up, they threaten me with court, and send me these letters in all caps on yellow paper in the mail, they just sent one that says FINAL NOTICE that I have ignored them and threatening a lawsuit. I am terrified of going to court, I am very shy, anxious person so the idea of standing up in front of a judge and lawyers scares me to death and I don't have any friends to lean on for support or the money for an attorney and because it is a debt from a shopping tv channel I am afraid it will be even worse, that they will be mean and awful to me in court. If everything hadn't gone so wrong so out of the blue these would have been paid in full on time. I'm sorry and I want to make this right as soon as I can. I have even called the original creditor and explained and told them how the collection agency is, rude and hanging up and threatening and shouting, but they say I have to deal with the collection agency its out of their hands. If they do take me to court it won't change my financial situation, it's not like the money is going to miraculous materialize and save me from having to go, I won't have it before the end of June. It seems to me if they would only take small payments and just wait a couple of months that would be easier and cheaper on everyone involved instead of dragging this into court, but I can't talk to them. If anyone else here has had any success dealing with this agency, CPS Security in San Antonio Texas please let me know any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and I'm sorry I'm so emotional.

Hello there,

I've posted my Hyundai Horror story here as well.

Can you go in and edit your post into proper paragraphs? It will be easier for people to read it.

Since you can pay this off in July, you don't have too long to wait. Just put them off then pay it in full. Don't call them or answer the phone. Send a C&D letter and they'll have to shut up. Make sure it's sent Certified.

Submitted by meanjean on Sat, 03/30/2013 - 08:59

meanjean

( Posts: 9 | Credits: )

I feel sorry for you and I can relate to the fact that you feel threatened and alone. Been there myself. Please try to take a deep breath and a day at a time. Do what SOAPLADY told you. Send them a letter and when they call you, hang up and do not let them bully you. Wait and see if they keep calling you after you send the letter.
Things will get better, but you have to stand your ground with those people. Be strong. We are here to help. :)

Submitted by FloridaGirl on Wed, 03/27/2013 - 07:51

FloridaGirl

( Posts: 9 | Credits: )