Skip to main content
index page

Summons but on SSDI

Submitted by on Fri, 03/29/2013 - 18:24
Credits:
[Donate]

I got a summons a month ago to appear in court in a few days. I tried calling the volunteer lawyers several times but no one got back to me. I can't pay the debt that I owe because I'm on SSDI And just don't have the money to pay them. If I don't show up what will happen? I'm scared to go and am afraid they might put me in jail. It's a debt if $3500. Please help. Thank you.

There is not much the volunteer attorneys can do for you.....you dont have any defense so they will get their judgment...there is nothing for them to fight for.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 03/30/2013 - 19:25

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Thanks all. I looked for my name in court that day and they didn't have the people listed but I do know which room to go to. There really isn't much info that I found helpful on Maine district court website but I did find where it said if I don't show and judge orders me to pay the money and I don't, the sherif will come arrest me and take me to court. So I'm following your advice and not my mothers. I'll be in court. She thought if I don't show up they will put a lean on me. But I have no property. I guess I'm just scared and have no one to go with me.

I called the volunteer lawyer people a month and half ago several times and no one got back to me. I've never had legal trouble before so this is what makes it scary. I just want to be prepared. Thanks

Submitted by on Sat, 03/30/2013 - 13:35

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Look up the Rules for Civil Procedure for your county on your county court website.

Meanjean...not having any money is not a defense and is not included in an answer to a complaint. Please do YOUR research.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 03/30/2013 - 10:42

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Go online and Google: How to answer summons and complaint. You should find good answers there. Also search this site. Make sure you can provide proof of income when you go.

Submitted by meanjean on Sat, 03/30/2013 - 09:52

meanjean

( Posts: 9 | Credits: )