Skip to main content
index page

Weltman, Weinberg and Reis

Submitted by firewoman on Thu, 04/18/2013 - 11:10
Credits:
[Donate]

A little background....my husband and I had stellar credit until 2009 when we could no longer afford to make our credit card payments. The reduction of our income starting the year before caused us to begin relying more heavily on credit. We thought the income reduction was just temporary and unfortunately it was permanent. We are two payments behind on our mortgage also. The SOL on most of our credit cards are fast approaching and are clustered between 6/28/2013 and 7/11/2013 because we stopped paying most of them at the same time. I'm in California.

On Monday I received a voicemail from Weltman, Weinberg and Reis, a collection attorney's office based in Ohio. They left another recorded message yesterday although both recordings cut off before they leave their phone number. I checked and found that while they are based in Ohio, one of their partners is licensed to practice law in my state.

In the message they ask only for me. I do have two accounts that were only in my name so I assumed it was one of those accounts. I checked my credit and saw no account listed under their firm's name, nor any inquiries made by them so I ran my husband's credit and saw they had made an inquiry on his Transunion report. So now I'm assuming it is one of the accounts that he and I share. With the SOL coming up I am really hoping to stretch this out to prevent them from filing suit before the SOL. My plan is to wait until I receive something in the mail from them and then DV them toward the end of the 30 day time limit. Is this the correct approach? I really wish we could have paid all of our bills to begin with, but at this point any extra money needs to go toward getting our mortgage current. Thank you in advance for any input.

Since the SOL is going to expire within a few months, so chances are high that they may file a lawsuit against you to collect the debt.
You can send a debt validation letter now. Make all the communications via mail, so that you can document everything later.

Submitted by on Fri, 04/19/2013 - 00:39

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Received a letter from this firm yesterday and it is the one account that we kept paying on so the SOL on this debt doesn't run out until next year. Looks like we will be entering negotiation with them for settlement. The debt is still owned by the original creditor which is US Bank so no need to DV them. At least I don't need to worry about this card coming back to haunt us later. Anyone dealt with this firm and or US bank before for debt settlement? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Submitted by firewoman on Fri, 04/19/2013 - 08:47

firewoman

( Posts: 21 | Credits: )