Skip to main content
index page

Debt collector has DEPOSITED money into my bank account. Why?

Submitted by thehumanriff on Sat, 02/01/2014 - 13:53
[Donate]

Last year, I had my bank account garnished by a debt collector for a debt they bought from Bank of America from a credit card I had with them. I tried negotiating with them to settle the debt but they simply wouldn't budge on anything. Eventually I discovered that in my state (Missouri) up to $400 of fund in your bank account is immune to garnishment, I sent the appropriate governement forms requesting the garnishment be lifted, and it eventually is.

More than a year has passed and I never heard from the debt collector. Last week I check my bank account to see a deposit posted for $103 that I had no knowledge of of. I naturally call the bank and they have their investigative department investigate it. Today I have received a letter from them saying they completed the investigation and I need to contact a specific phone number for any questions regarding the deposit. I call the number and I'm surprised (And annoyed) when the voice mail of that same debt collector picks up.

I plan to go to my bank on Monday to get some more info on the deposit itself but in the meantime I'm wondering just why the hell would the debt collector DEPOSIT money into my account? Is this some kind of cheap tactic or something? Any ideas?

that 103 is money they got as part of the illegal levy,and returned it to you.

Submitted by paulmergel on Sun, 02/02/2014 - 07:53

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

Well, when the garnishment was lifted, I just withdrew all the money in my account and hid it under the mattress.

The only amount that was ever removed from my account otherwise during this was a $100 processing fee charged by my bank for the garnishment. But would the debt collector be legally obligated to reimburse that?

Submitted by thehumanriff on Sun, 02/02/2014 - 15:05

thehumanriff

( Posts: | Credits: )