Skip to main content
index page

Northland Group and Cavalry

Submitted by Shug on Wed, 02/04/2015 - 10:36
Credits:
[Donate]

I recently received a dunning letter from Northland Group for an almost 6 year old debt, just before the SOL or right around SOL in AZ. I responded with a DV letter and Northland promptly replied and said they closed the account and returned it to Cavalry Portfolio. I just sent a DV letter to Cavalry as well. Does anyone know the chances of them validating since they had already assigned it to Northland (maybe they weren't able to and that's why they assigned it) or other steps I can take to get it removed? The OC was B of A with a large balance.

with that info if it's not past SOL it's very close.as for the fall off are you sure?also use credit karma to check the other two bureaus as well.bottomline this debt is close to,or is time barred meaning they can't sue as long as you know it's time barred.my advice in the post above yours still stands.offer 1,000.00 total with a deletion from your cr,and a letter stating the debt was settled,and nothing further is owed,and they won't pass it to,or sell the remaining unsettled portion.if they balk at any of those then no deal,and again unless you are planning on a big purchase aka a house let it fall off in 2016.

Submitted by paulmergel on Wed, 03/04/2015 - 09:13

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

does it usually fall off at the 7 year mark or 7 1/2? I think Transunion estimated 03/2016 which would be exactly 7 years.

Submitted by Shug on Tue, 03/03/2015 - 10:55

Shug

( Posts: 6 | Credits: )

it doesn't matter if they validated.they can't sue as it is past SOL.you need to be careful as offer less than a thousand.you see even if you settle it stay on your credit report as collection,or charge off settled,not paid.unless you need this off your credit report then i would let it fall off.if you need it off then offer alright a thousand with a deletion on your credit report,and a settled in full owing no more letter from them.anything else no deal.that's what i would do.

Submitted by paulmergel on Tue, 03/03/2015 - 09:14

paulmergel

They ended up validating the debt with some old statements that I received today. The total debt is around 33k. Would 1500 be a good starting point to settle it or what would be a good offer? Thanks

Submitted by Shug on Mon, 03/02/2015 - 18:54

Shug

You could go two routes, first way what I recommend is to dispute it with all 3 bureaus and try to get it off your credit. Likely the collector won't be able to verify the debt and it'll get taken off the reports. If that doesn't work, you could contact the collector and offer a token amount to get it deleted off your record. They know there is no way in hell you're paying the full balance or even half, so say if it's a 10,000 dollar debt offer 500 bucks and go from there.

Submitted by waffles on Wed, 02/25/2015 - 21:15

waffles

( Posts: 1697 | Credits: )

I just checked my credit report and it is showing up on all 3 and shows that it is disputed in the comments section. They sent a letter with all of the info that I received on the 21st of this month. I saved it in case I need it later. Any recommendations for now or should I wait for a response?

Submitted by Shug on Wed, 02/25/2015 - 15:26

Shug

interesting to say the least.even if they were to validate it's past SOL meaning unless you need to pay this(buying a house)don't that's the reason they won't sue.in fact go to gives you the big three credit reports once a year free.see if this is even on your credit reports.last thing how did they respond?with a letter,or call?you need a letter.even a email something you can print up will do.

Submitted by paulmergel on Wed, 02/25/2015 - 08:44

paulmergel

wait to see how cavalry responds.if they can't validate we can advise further from there,but was this a B of A credit card?i'm assuming so.anyway wait ti see how,or if they respond.your last part has me asking is cavalry on your credit report?

Submitted by paulmergel on Sun, 02/08/2015 - 12:22

paulmergel

Yes it was a B of A card with a pretty high balance that was charged off by them and shows as 0 balance. Cavalry is currently reporting the balance with interest on my credit report. I just received the certified receipt back that they signed for it. I will post again later if they respond or not. Thanks

Submitted by Shug on Mon, 02/09/2015 - 17:56

Shug

I just got a response saying that they will respond within 60 days if they have validation or not. It also says they won't sue because of the age of the debt.

Submitted by Shug on Mon, 02/23/2015 - 11:18

Shug