Skip to main content
index page

Debt almost to SOL... got mystery collection call. Help please!

Submitted by Zella M on Wed, 03/04/2015 - 12:21
[Donate]

I had a credit card through bank of america back in 2006-2009. I made my last payment to them March 27, 2009. Then I went dead on it between various life factors. You know how it goes. I had the card and it was closed/transferred to a collector in Oregon. I moved to Hawaii. As far as I can tell, the limit for collections in both states is 6 years. I'm fast approaching this time.
I got a call about 2 weeks ago from a collection agency. They spoke crappy english (Indian maybe?), and I had a very hard time understanding anything. In fact, the first person I spoke to didn't tell me what the call was about, just asked who I was and when I confirmed my name, they transferred me. I never got the name of the agency, and sadly the number dropped off my phone before I thought to write it down. I was harassed about making payments ("25 dollars? No? 5 dollars then! Do 5 dollars a month to prove you want to take care of this!"). I was dealing with bad reception, bad communication, and a really bad day, and I finally told who ever it was to just mail me a letter with whatever the offers were. (I should've just hung up, but I'm too polite).
My question/problem: Nothing ever arrived. I know I'm in Hawaii and mail can take a while, but it's been 2-3 weeks and nothing.
I have no idea who I talked to. I don't know who the agency is. I never got any papers.
Will the 6 year statue of limitations go through anyways? I'm less then a month away, and I'm worried through some happenstance on the phone they can renew the limit.
Can someone with some knowledge share that knowledge? All the research on the internet hasn't really helped, and I don't quite want to find a lawyer to talk to unless I have to.
Thank you!

you sure the caller sounded indian?if so then they were a scammer.i doubt the call was about bank of america as they would not go that low in payments.the reason you never got anything as this was a boiler room scam.last thing no the sol can't be reset with a call.only a payment,and in some states that won't be enough.if theses scum call again tell them you are reporting them to your AG,and the FTC.again a scam not tied to bank of america.

Submitted by paulmergel on Thu, 03/05/2015 - 10:28

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )