Skip to main content
index page

wage garnishment and interest

Submitted by dlee on Tue, 05/05/2015 - 13:09
Credits:
[Donate]

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need some help.

I had a hospital bill from several years ago it was only like $600-$900. At first I was okay with the garnishment, I had some money saved up and would be fine paying the total off each week. Well now I'm at the end of the garnishment and I got a letter from work (a copy the lawyer sent my employer) that states "The balance on the judgement and costs after applying your last check in the amount of $121.03 dated April 23,2015, is 342.92. However, interest has accrued on the accounts , in the amount of 1,050.08 which needs to be added to your balance. Therefore, the total balance due for judgement cost and interest is $1,393.00."

That's another 12 weeks, I can't afford that, I'll lose everything. And at the end of this 12 weeks is there going to be another thousand dollars worth of interest added? I don't know what to do. I'm meeting with a bankruptcy lawyer tomorrow, I don't think I need to file bankruptcy but I can't afford to pay my bills.

Each state is has a judgmet interst rate, usually 8-10%. and you are responsible for legal costs. A bankuptcy will cost you probably at minimum with attorney and filing fees 3k.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 05/09/2015 - 19:00

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )