Skip to main content
index page

I received a Default Judgment letter?

Submitted by jj.vinh on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 02:21
[Donate]

Hello friends,

I'm a bit in a weird spot and can't sleep. Hope someone here can assist me with my query. In 2009, Citibank charged off my account; that debt has since been passed around to a few firms. Here is the letter I received from my county justice court in Texas:

"ON THIS DATE, Plaintiff, Citibank, N.A.'s ("Plaintiff") Motion for Default Judgment against Defendant(s) [my full name] ("Defendant") was considered by the Court. After reviewing Plaintiff's Motion and the pleadings in the Court's file, the Court is of the opinion that Plaintiff's Motion is well-made and should be GRANTED.

It is therefore ORDERED that a default judgment be entered against Defendant and that Plaintiff is entitled to recover from the Defendant:

1. Judgment in the amount of $xxxx.xx as actual damages for breach of contract;
2. All costs of court; and
3. Post-Judgment interest at the lawful rate of 5.00 percent per annum from the date of Judgment until the Judgment is satisfied.

It is further ORDERED that all writs and process shall be issues without further Order of the Court.
It is further ORDERED that this Order disposes of all parties and all claims in this cause of action. It is therefore FINAL and appealable. All relief not expressly granted by this order is denied.

SIGNED this __ day of _______, ____."

I have a few questions:

1. Does this mean I got sued/served?
2. Can the original creditor come back out of no where and sue me even after passing my debt to another firm?
3. What is my next best course of action.

If it helps, I'm paying for Lexington Law to work on my credit repair. I wonder if them sending Citibank letters prompted this action. I would appreciate any advice the members of this community can assist me with. Thank you, everyone. God bless.

You are being sued. Are you using Lexington Law for debt settlement?? Did they make you aware this is always a possiblity, especially with Citibank? Of course, they will not represent you in court.

You need to get this account paid off or settled before your court day or your credit repair will be a waste of time. A judgement is going to tank your score big time.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 06:11

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

This sounds like the OP was already sued and is now got a default judgement...

To the OP: This is the first official letter you got? I find it odd that you got this letter but did not get served? You need to go down to the courthouse asap and get copies of this case and see how you were served. If you were not served properly you can get it vacated...but keep in mind they will likely just turn around and make sue you again.

Submitted by goldenbast on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 10:12

goldenbast

( Posts: 2884 | Credits: )

You need to vacate the order of default; the court already rendered judgment against you for not filing an appearance in the action.

The rules of court detail what papers you need to file to vacate or reconsider a default judgment - always less than 30 days, often less than 10 days. Hurry!

Submitted by on Thu, 10/18/2012 - 04:29

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )