Skip to main content
index page

Plain Green Loans

Submitted by rockinkiwi on Wed, 11/14/2012 - 10:05
Credits:
[Donate]

So I was very proud of myself, I remained 4 years without having to take out a PDL. However, earlier this year I had to give in.Times have been tough, and I couldn't go to anyone for a small loan.

I went to Plain Green Loan, and took out the loan. I was paying it back at a reasonable amount every other week, however I had an issue with my bank account and had to close it suddenly. One of my payments to them bounced back because I couldn't get my new account information to them in time.

I never received any e-mails from PGL, no phone calls, nothing.

Yesterday, I received a call from what is allegedly my local county court office (at work no less), asking where I can have papers served to me today and that there were charges filed against me (the call came in on an anonymous line). They gave me the number for CCS (I'm guessing a collection agency) and told me they'd give me 30 minutes to get it resolved.

I called CCS, and they told me that PGL has decided not to sue me for the amount, but charge me with writing bad checks, and that it could lead to potential jail time for fraud. I admit, I panicked. When I asked for notification in writing, they said they could not provide it to me because they already e-mailed me several times and maybe it went into my spam folder. I never received a phone call from PGL or CCS, never received a letter, nothing.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have agreed to make a payment arrangement (I know, stupid move on my part), but I was in a rush, it was during work, and I couldn't really take the phone call that day as I was the only one in the office at the time and I had phones ringing off the hook.

I just don't know what to do next. I feel like i've been duped, and I'm probably right about that.

Thanks!

This is just a crock of bull. Debts are civil, not criminal and therefore you can neither be jailed for it nor charged with check fraud or any such stuff. Moreover, process servers or county sheriffs do not call ahead of coming to serve you.

Next time these idiots call, pick up the phone, call the idiot a liar, tell them them to send over the legal paperwork and the sheriff if they wish to and you would happily welcome them into your home with the wrong end of a Colt Python.

Submitted by Steve Barris on Wed, 11/14/2012 - 21:17

Steve Barris

( Posts: 1043 | Credits: )

I don't have a Colt Python, but I do have several others that would do just fine. ;)

I have to call them today to stop the payment processing they are supposed to do tomorrow. What should I say? I really don't have the time to argue with them about this, as I will be the only one in my office today and expected to answer all the phone lines we have. Do I tell the "case worker" that I have a legal right to see something in writing before any arrangements and that they can send that to me first, in the meantime stop calling my office and please retract the payment arrangement?

I knew it was a crock but I was stupid and panicked. :( I'd prefer not to lose $179 tomorrow when my paycheck gets deposited into my account.

Submitted by rockinkiwi on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 03:44

rockinkiwi

( Posts: 45 | Credits: )

Here's the funny thing about PGL and CCS - neither party ever.....ever contacted me by phone/email/mail. I check all three religiously and never received contact from them. I checked my spam folders and everything.

So the first contact I received was at work by someone who was allegedly calling from my local county wanting to serve me papers for check fraud. When I called CCS from the number they gave me, they said, "PGL isn't suing you, they're looking to have you arrested for passing bad checks".......

I've put a hold on my debit card, preventing all activity using my card number to occur. I'm hoping that will help slow down the process.

Submitted by rockinkiwi on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 11:16

rockinkiwi

Which all sounds strange any way since you did't pass a bad check, you could have had to shut your account down for many different reasons. Place the hold on your card - will keep them from taking money I believe. I would still have them issue you a new one right away. Make sure the noted it as fraud on your card so if something does go through you will be able to dispute it. You never signed anything authorizing the so called in payment plan, correct?
How long was the process between missed payment and the scum from CCS calling you at work. I am some what lucky, they can't get to me at work - at best they can leave me a message. I have my home phone set to selective call acceptance, so if the number from them is not programmed in then they will only get a message saying that I am not taking calls and well if they get my cell number I will change it.

Submitted by HelpinAZ on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 11:29

HelpinAZ

( Posts: 1870 | Credits: )

The last payment I made to them, I believe, was in April of this year. So it's been about 7 months or so since their last contact with me.

The hold is on the card and I did ask my cardholder about the potential transaction that may take place on my account tomorrow, and they said it shouldn't go through, but if it does to file a fraud report immediately.

I'll keep you posted!

Submitted by rockinkiwi on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 11:37

rockinkiwi

Wow 7 months - guess I know what to expect now!! :D

Glad could try to help - Keep us posted, sounds like your card issuer is going to help you with the process and help keep your money safe.

I learned that trick from my own bank, they told me when we were going through this process if ever had to give out info only use card, easier to shut it down and just issue another and can be immediately reported as lost or stolen.

Submitted by HelpinAZ on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 11:54

HelpinAZ

( Posts: 1870 | Credits: )

You do not pay these fools a single cent. Stop all transactions and put your bank account on 'Deposit Only' just to play it safe. You need to understand something here; these people are completely powerless and therefore resort to empty threats.

Even if the transaction goes through (and I believe your card issuer would not let that happen), you file that fraud complaint and on top of that, dispute the transaction as unauthorized.

I only say you should not pay them simply because today you are being called up by CCS and once you are done paying them, some other moron would start calling you before the week is over, saying the same things and collecting on the same account you thought you had just settled. This is a SCAM.

Submitted by Steve Barris on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 20:20

Steve Barris

( Posts: 1043 | Credits: )

So I just got a PIF from Plain Green, but after reading more I now have a question. Will they still turn the account over to collections?

Submitted by schipanic on Sat, 11/17/2012 - 04:59

schipanic

( Posts: 13 | Credits: )