Skip to main content
index page

Premiere Credit

Submitted by on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 09:31
Credits:
[Donate]

Got a call from the in laws yesterday that someone at this company had called them about money that I owe them. What is the best way to approach this company? I don't know who they are or what I supposedly owe them for. I believe that the law says they are not allowed to call family or friends and discuss the matter with them. I want to tread carefully on this so I am not sure if I should call the number they left or if I should put everything in writing. I looked up the company online and it says they are primarily student loan debt collectors. I don't have any student loan debt.

You're absolutely right. The debt collectors can't reveal debt information to your in-laws. If the debt collectors call your in-laws again, tell them to give your contact number. Talk with these debt collectors and find out what the matter is all about. If you really feel that the debt is not yours, then you can send Cease and Desist letter easily.

Submitted by on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 19:29

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

They called the in laws and said they needed to discuss a debt I owed. No, the in laws are not co-signors on anything nor have they ever been so they would not have any reason to mention it to them. I was just wondering if it was better to contact these people over the phone or via mail. I want to preserve my rights. My mother had an incident several years ago with a phone bill that was not even hers. She had it turned off when she moved to another town and whoever got it after racked up huge long distance and phone sex and psychic connections and they pursued her for a year. Even after the phone company admitted to her that she was not the name on the account when the charges were incurred. I don't want to spend huge amounts of time on a debt that is not mine.

Submitted by on Mon, 11/19/2012 - 15:27

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )