Skip to main content
index page

Law Firm of Joe Cardis, LLC Anyone know anything???

Submitted by on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 13:09
Credits:
[Donate]

I received a call today from a "Mr.Rexroad" from the Law Offices of Joe Cardis, LLC in Pennsylvania. I am in Illinois.

He stated that he was calling in regards to my balance with a community college in Illinois, a college that I did in fact take classes at. I though it was a little wierd that someone from PA would be trying to file a legal claim against someone in IL... or that my little community college that is 20 minutes from me would outsource to a lawyer in PA...

He stated that if I didn't make payment arrangments and agree to pay the balance, that pre-litigation proceedings would take place and he would send all of the necessary legal information to my college to start the legal process.

I am scared out of my MIND! I have never been sued or had legal problems, although I have dealt with collection agencies. I've learned from this site to double-check on those claiming to be collection agencies and wanted to verify the information with the college myself. When I told the "lawyer" this, he accused me of going over his head and trying to refuse to pay the balance. He got me so upset that I've been in tears for an hour.

I called the college and explained the situation and explained this man to them, and they are looking into it and I am expecting a return call from them at any time.

Doing my research I???ve found this company listed on (so far) 4 different complaint forums. http://www.joelcardisllc.com/ is the link to their company website. They do collections (obviously). I looked for information to see if this person is even licensed to practice in my state, and on another forum, found information that in Illinois where I live, he is NOT. His office claims to be located in Pennsylvania. Below is their profile info.

Law Offices of Joel Cardis, LLC
2006 Swede Road, Suite 100
East Norriton, PA 19401
Phone: (610) 239-7147
Fax: (610) 239-7546
Fax: (610) 239-7775

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me? I'm at a loss of what to do... I don't mind paying the college what I owe (I verified the amount with the student accounts department at my school) but this legal and lawyer stuff is freaking me out.

He is not a licensed attorney in your state. He is only allowed to act as a debt collector and not an attorney. It appears to he that he is holding himself out to be an attorney, totally illegal.

Have you got anything in the mail from them? They have 5 days from the date of that call to send you a dunning letter. You then have 30 days to dispute the debt. Make sure you do. You can get a sample debt validation letter on here in the do it yourself section or search online for "sample debt validation letter" Make sure you send it certified mail return receipt requested...

also if the DV letter you are using has a cease and desist clause in it, DO NOT use it. A cease and desist should only be used if the debt is time barred, if you already paid it and have proof or if it is an illegal company collecting.

As far as what they are collecting for, student loans, back taxes and child support are exempt from the FDCPAct. For those things, they do not have to sue to obtain garnishment or to take assets.....what you owe is for classes. If you took the classes but never paid, it might not fall under the exempt examples, but it could.

Someone with more knowlege should be able to help on that, hopefully someone comes along for that. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Submitted by pokertramp on Fri, 02/26/2010 - 13:26

pokertramp

( Posts: 512 | Credits: )

I have never received anything in the mail from this supposed law firm. I called the school directly and spoke with their business office and I do in fact have a balance that I will be paying to the school itself... I will not be speaking to this "Mr.Rexroad" any longer. Like I said, I have no received anything from them in the mail at all, and I have only received one phone call from this man and that was yesterday.

The school said that I am certainly able to pay them directly, and questioned why this man told me that I only had to deal with him and pay him. NO... I will not give someone access to my financial information when they are in another state.

Submitted by on Sat, 02/27/2010 - 05:27

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I used to work here . He is not a lawyer however he works for a lawyer to collect yhur debt . Your case was sent to the company then delegated to Mr. Rexrode to try to obtain the debt before the lawyer takes further action .

Submitted by on Tue, 12/18/2012 - 09:45

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )