Skip to main content
index page

Anyone heard of Liberty (collection agency/attorneys?)

Submitted by ShanG on Wed, 12/12/2012 - 18:36
[Donate]

Let me start off by saying that we paid off ALL our consumer debt a year ago August. It tanked our credit, but we are debt free. Well except for an erroneous tax debt stemming from my husband's identity theft in Nov. 2000, that is -- we've been fighting this for nearly 12 years now. Yes, I have proof of all of this -- fraudulent w-2's, letters from those companies stating my husband NEVER worked for them and PIF letters from all our former creditors. And CR showing all debts "paid as agreed".

Wednesday morning, I got a call from an Andre Davis asking for my husband. When I asked what company he was from, he said he wasn't from a company, he was from [my county] "processing and assignment division 'in Cali'". I told him that the number did not show on the caller ID as being a county number and that it showed 'unavailable 1' which usually indicated a spam call. To which he responded "well you can think it's a spam call but there will be MISDEMEANOR charges filed against your husband for violations of section 3-1042b for fraud, fraudulent checks and attempting to defraud a financial institution ". But I could stop this from happening by contacting the "lawyer" handling the case at 866-373-2394.

Ummm...

I already knew this was a scam because no criminal charges can be filed against anyone for consumer debt, but I decided to fish because, quite frankly, this guy pissed me off by pretending to be an officer of the court, lying about criminal charges, and, most importantly referring to California as "Cali". Sorry, but that dumb rap song from the 90's has screwed up more conversations than I care to remember. LOL

I called the number and a man answered who did not give his name and reiterated what Andre Davis had said to me. The "lawyer's office" is a place called Liberty. He said the collection account was for a company called Plain Green Loans and my husband owed them over $1800. I told him I knew nothing about this company and he needed to send me something in writing via US mail in accordance with the FDCPA. He said he had sent emails. I told him that wasn't legal, no one could be prosecuted criminally for debt and that he had violated federal and state laws regarding collections by the statements he and the other man had made to me, including giving ME information about my husband's supposed debt.

He, of course, disagreed.

I hung up with him and called my county DA's office. I asked if the stated department even existed and was told no. I was also told that the special prosecutor's office had received many calls about similar types of things and did I want to file a complaint. Which, of course, I did. I then called the state AG and found out that this Plain Green Loans is not licensed in CA.

Then, I decided to call these asshats back and tell them what I'd discovered and that I was filing charges and complaints against THEM for violations of the FDCPA, impersonating an officer of the court and anything else I could find. I also told him that if they attempted to contact my husband, his place of employment, myself or anyone we know again, I would take them to court and any and all correspondence MUST be via US mail ONLY.

Then he put his supervisor on the line, a woman named Sarah Cain. She proceeded to tell me that their client was a company called Think Cash. Never heard of them, just like I've never heard of Plain Green Loans. She proceeded to tell me that the FDCPA did not apply to Liberty, only 3rd party collection agencies. I said that unless she was in-house with PGL/TC, she was THIRD PARTY. She didn't like that. When I said that PGL was an illegal company, she stated that if they were illegal, then my husband bears responsibility for taking a loan from an illegal company!!

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

She asked about an email address and I said I had no idea who it belongs to because my husband does not have one, only one for work that is just a few months old and strictly regulated. She told me she was doing a background check on the email address to prove it was his. LOL I told her that she wasn't going to get me, she needed to send a letter in the mail with validation of this debt, proof it was my husband's and to never contact either of us, family members, employers or friends by phone again or there would be a lawsuit. In fact, I would likely sue anyways for the false representation of an officer of the court and threat of criminal charges.

That really got her. She stated she had heard the entire conversation between myself and the "lawyer" and he'd never said anything about misdemeanor charges. I had to tell her that it was during my initial contact from Andre Davis & my first conversation with the "lawyer" in which the false claims/threats had been made. I also told her that section 3-1042B existed, but only in the IRS tax code. She had no answer for this.

I again reiterated that they were to ONLY contact us via US mail and hung up.

Ok, after that lengthy story, here are my questions:

Does anyone have ant info at all about this Liberty place? Address, phone number -- other than the one I gave earlier?

Who are Plain Green Loans/Think Cash?

How should I proceed to get them gone and hopefully prosecuted/fined within an inch of their lives?

If the FDCPA truly does only govern 3rd party collectors, what laws govern in-house collectors?

libertycollection.us/index.html

This is the only Liberty I could find out there but the numbers do not match the one they were calling you from, so this might or might not be the one you are hunting.

As for Think Cash and Plain Green Loans, they are both illegal tribal lenders and they are not licensed to operate legally anywhere in the US, except for maybe on the tribal reservations that they are located in.

Submitted by Steve Barris on Wed, 12/12/2012 - 19:25

Steve Barris

( Posts: 1043 | Credits: )