Skip to main content
index page

Marine in need of help

Submitted by on Fri, 11/19/2010 - 16:42
Credits:
[Donate]

Ok heres the story... back in 2003 i went to college for a little over a year. I dropped out and really didnt know what i was getting myself into... eventually back in 2006, i enlisted in the military. during those 3 years prior and 3 years after i have been moving around and generally very hard to get in touch with. This has lead to a bunch of credit trouble, naturally. Well my new CA is creditors interchange. I have read quite a bit on these forums about this company. My problem is this....

The only original papers I have state I took out a loan in 2003 for $16k. which after coming back from this deployment i settled for around $10k. Now, this company is saying I took out an additional loan for $22k. I seriously dispute this since i have no paperwork on this, and my co-signer only signed the 1 form for $16k. Now I dont exactly understand my credit report but I found a account for $22k under 'potentially negative closed' from keybank na. Matter of fact, the only thing on my credit report from CI is a hard inquiry, 2 months ago. They are leaving lots of threats right now (I have never answered the phone.) Im just wondering what my steps of action should be. How can i determine if this $22k is valid, and if its not how can i get CI to stop asking for it. also any help at all would be great my score is an abysmal 572 right now.

I sent a DV to the OC and got a response that it was "not enough information" I forget the exact wording as I left the letter at the office, but ill be sure to grab it on monday. The tuition was 395 a credit hour, which put it roughly at 5600 a quarter... i went for 3 quarters. What makes it more suspicious to me is that both the 16k and 22k loans were opened on the same day. I went to one of the worst schools around, art institute of philadelphia.

Submitted by wemakegreen13 on Fri, 11/19/2010 - 20:12

wemakegreen13

( Posts: | Credits: )

http://www.artinstitutes.edu/philadelphia/admissions/tuition-and-fees.aspx

I looked up the cost of attendance....you have listed tuition but what about all the other fees and expenses? Total cost of attendance can run $40k per year with living expenses.

What did you borrow? Private? Private and federal loans? Did you do a FAFSA application? You might want to log into NSLDS and see if you borrowed federal loans.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 11/20/2010 - 03:01

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Keep in mind the tuition has greatly increased since 7 years ago. When I went they didnt even have a BS in photography, only an AS. that what i went for, and even today, total costs for an AS in photography hits 60k... assuming you went for 8 quarters. I went for 3. I stayed in the dorms for the 1st quarter and then got my own apartment. Now what worries me, is that my memory is shot from TBI, so i could be just believing what im saying. Monday im requesting my transcripts to see the exact time Ive been there. The thing is, ive always been very good at keeping paperwork and what i have is a 16k federal loan. it has the listed disbursement schedule and everything. I really hope its not a private loan, I would be 1000% screwed right now, if thats the case and it turns valid.

the only thing i can imagine them doing is, at initial enrollment, loan farming AIPH got me a 16k federal loan and a 22k private loan for my entire degree. And then when I only finished 3 quarters they kept the remaining money. Which sounds completely illegal, but something they would do. If it turns out this is the case, am I held liable? Also, ive signed up for NSLDS. It has been too long since i used my pin, so i have to wait for reauthorization (1-3 days) I appreciate the help.

Submitted by on Sat, 11/20/2010 - 09:25

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Been reading ALOT, and just want to clarify a few things, in case it turns valid. Please correct any information I may have misinterpreted... When you default on a private loan, you cannot rehab or consolidate the loan. In fact the only option is to pay in full. Since 22k is not laying around under the mattress ill be sued and they'll attempt to garnish mine and my co-signers wages as well as liquify any assets. Now under the SCRA it states:

"[SIZE=3]3. DEFAULT JUDGMENTS: A default judgment is entered against a party who has failed to defend against a claim that has been brought by another party. To obtain a default judgment, a plaintiff must file an affidavit (written declaration of fact) stating that the defendant is not in the military service and has not requested a stay. If you are sued while on active duty, you fail to respond and as a result a default judgment is obtained against you, you can reopen the default judgment by taking several steps. First, you must show that the judgment was entered during your military service or within 30 days after you've left the service. Second, you must write to the court requesting that the default judgment be reopened while you are still on active duty or within 90 days of leaving the service. Third, you must not have made any kind of appearance in court, through filing an answer or otherwise, prior to the default judgment being entered. Finally, you must indicate that your military service prejudiced your ability to defend your case and show that you had a valid defense to the action against you."

Does this mean they cant sue us, and ill actually have time to repay the loan monthly? If can prove the last sentence, of course. Assuming this loan is valid, I obviously want to do anything and everything I can to pay this off as quickly as possible, but full payment is just not possible. Also, how can I determine when the SOL began? And how do most people handle defaulted private loans. I highly doubt anyone can afford payment in full.
[/SIZE]

Submitted by on Sat, 11/20/2010 - 10:58

so I checked in to the NSLDS and there is nothing about a 22k loan on there. I have a stafford subsidized, stafford unsub and a fed perkins. totalling less then 8k and having a $0 outstanding principal or interest. This appears like my federal loans. And my papers would be the private loan, which would explain the co-signer. As I said, the loan i have paperwork is for 16k. On my credit report it shows this loan for 16k, but it also shows a loan for 22k opened on the same day. What do you think my best course of action should be? Should I even attempt contact with the CA? Or just go straight to the OC. And should I send a DV or just ask for a copy of the original prom?

Submitted by on Tue, 11/23/2010 - 10:28

no, i only have the prom note from the 16k. like i said, its the only 1 i remember signing, and certaintly the only 1 my co-signer signed, since she lives several states away. They are both from the same company though, but the 16k is listed on my credit report as AES/Keybank and the 22k is Keybank NA

Submitted by on Tue, 11/23/2010 - 11:46