Skip to main content
index page

stop identity theft

Submitted by dbaker6 on Tue, 10/17/2006 - 16:33
Credits:
[Donate]

Just a tidbit of advice. I was at UPS the other day and ran into a lady who said that she had been the victim of identify theft four times. She said, now, she nor her husband buy anything over the internet with credit or debit cards. Instead, they buy a gift card (which can be purchased at some banks) and use that to purchase things over the internet. That way, they get their money but they don't know any of your ID numbers.

dbaker, My bank advised me not to use my debit card over internet. They said there had been several cases of theft. It really makes you scared when you think what all those payday people know on us dont it? KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Tue, 10/24/2006 - 20:19

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

It sure does. Do you know how many times I've written a check, just because it's easier, and never thought twice about it? Now I'm very careful who I write checks to. I'm buying a lot of money orders these days, just because I'd rather limit who had my account info. And my debit card - forget it - I might as well not even have it. I haven't used it once since I opened my new account, and I don't plan to. I was talking to my brother-in-law today. They just moved in. On the application, my brother-in-law said there was a section for your bank account info. He said, "I don't give that information out to anyone. I would be paying you with money orders and, if I pay my rent on time, you have no reason to have it." And, you know, he's right!

Submitted by dbaker6 on Tue, 10/24/2006 - 20:28

dbaker6

( Posts: 1600 | Credits: )

dbaker It is scary. The payday people have our social birthday where we live etc. I have often wondered who funds these people anyway. I am so glad to be out of this mess. I hope they all get outlawed. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Tue, 10/24/2006 - 20:48

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

I have a friend that had her debit card stolen from her while she was at work, and whoever had stolen it, went all the way to Kentucky and charged $2000 worth of furniture. The bank put the money back in her account, but you would think for that large amount of a purchase, the furniture store would want to see an ID. I've never had anyone ask to see my ID. The teller at my friend's bank had told her to write "see ID" on the back of her new debit card!!

Submitted by brownsugar on Wed, 10/25/2006 - 15:16

brownsugar

( Posts: 1389 | Credits: )