Skip to main content
index page

I don't want to file bankrupcy, help?

Submitted by gabe24fan on Wed, 08/29/2012 - 13:30
Credits:
[Donate]

Last year I contacted a credit counseling agency and they told me, after review, that we just don't qualify because our income has decreased too much. Since then, we are simply just drowning in debt and getting further into a hole. My husband is a self-employed contractor (new home construction) and business is just not what it used to be. His income is sporadic at best. Bankrupcy is not an option - even though it has been recommended. Please help - I don't know what to do anymore and can't take much more of this stress!

1st Mortgage was modified current payment is 652.39/mo Principal is 98,000
HELOC with PNC is 34,000. PNC would not renew loan because of lower income level. It has now been charged off.
Truck loan 329.38/mo has 10 payments left.
Boat loan 186.15 - I don't even know when it will be paid off.
Credit card debt totals about 50,000. (most of this has been incurred paying expenses when the recession first hit)

My income is only around $19,000/yr. We take draws from my husbands company as needed and when available. Some months are OK - but most are way under water!

Submitted by gabe24fan on Wed, 08/29/2012 - 19:22

gabe24fan

( Posts: 20 | Credits: )

1st Mortgage was modified current payment is 652.39/mo Principal is 98,000
HELOC with PNC is 34,000. PNC would not renew loan because of lower income level. It has now been charged off.
Truck loan 329.38/mo has 10 payments left.
Boat loan 186.15 - I don't even know when it will be paid off.
Credit card debt totals about 50,000. (most of this has been incurred paying expenses when the recession first hit)

Your salary is 19k a year and you've been working 10 years? My mom was making in the 40-50s as a staff assistant before she graduated with her bachelor's from online classes. It seems to me like you're being severely underpaid, unless the job is part time. If it's part time consider getting another job. As for your husband, have him look into supervisory jobs at lowes or home depot - his experience in construction will get him right in and that'll give you great benefits and, if he gets a supervisory job, probably 40-50k a year at least. I hate to sit here and give you life advise tips but based on the salary you provided and the fact that your husband's current work as a contractor is sporadic, you have little to no options. 19k annually with 50k in CC debt, 650 /mo mortgage, paying 320 dollars a month for a truck, almost 200 for a boat, I mean there's just no answer here for you unless you A) declare bankruptcy or B) your husband gets a stable job and brings in some more money. Home depot or lowes would love to have a guy with his experience in construction and as I said, the salaries for managers or supervisors are not bad at all and you get great benefits. He can do his contracting work along with that. I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for but if BK isn't an option for you, the only option is increasing your income. You will NEVER pay off that debt on your salary. It is just absolutely impossible.

Submitted by waffles on Wed, 08/29/2012 - 20:16

waffles

( Posts: 1697 | Credits: )

Oh my gosh yes, nothing to be ashamed of. I am in a field of work where I see tons of bankruptcy notices everyday. This just describes the way the economy is today. In fact, a few of my friends are in a bankruptcy plan and I don't think any less of them because of it. Hope everything turns out OK for you.

Submitted by bingonut on Thu, 08/30/2012 - 13:09

bingonut

( Posts: 1428 | Credits: )