Skip to main content
index page

is it a good offer?

Submitted by on Mon, 04/11/2011 - 04:11
Credits:
[Donate]

My husband has 1 credit card. He has lost his job. He can't afford to make the payments on it. So, he contacted the credit card company. The card company has offered him a repayment plan. As per the payment plan, he has to pay $120 for around 4 years. Should he accept the offer?

Since your husband is unemployed, so you should analyze the terms and conditions of the deal before accepting it. Can your husband afford to pay $120 every month? If he can't, then he should negotiate with the card company to lower the amount.

Submitted by on Mon, 04/11/2011 - 04:31

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

How old is the debt? Once your state statute of limitations has expired, he has no legal obligation for the debt, and can contest any legal action to collect it based on expiration of the statute of limitations. Also I would advise checking out your state SOL statute to see if entering into such a firm agreement to pay will act to reset the SOL on the debt. In some states, it does. In my opinion, the SOL issues would be the first thing to check out.
What derogs have been reported to the CRAs, and when are they due to expire from his CR due to running of the relevant CR exclusion period? If they have time to run after expiration of his repayment period, you might also want to consider negotiating the deletion of those items from his credit file once payment has been fulfilled.
As has been said, entering into such an agreement can be very helpful, but if he fails to abide by its terms, then it will probably result in immediate action on their part to move to collect the debt in court. So be very sure he can abide by whatever terms he agrees to.

Submitted by Lian on Fri, 09/02/2011 - 02:16

Lian

( Posts: 234 | Credits: )