Skip to main content
index page

Didn't know I defaulted on a loan - currently repaying but hurting my credit

Submitted by cmstl25 on Fri, 01/06/2012 - 10:57
[Donate]

Hi All,

I was hoping someone can help me out with this since I've tried to solve the problem on my own with no luck!!

I graduated with mostly federal loans so I used the Federal Student Aid site to see what I owed to which lenders. Since I had moved four times since the beginning of my college career, I had lost track of my Massachusetts loan and obviously did not discover it through the Federal Student Aid site since it was a State loan.

Needless to say, I defaulted on the loan and wasn't aware of the outstanding debt until it got sent to a third collections agency. I worked with them and send a monthly payment directly to the Mass Dept of Higher Ed. I've tried to speak to someone at the MDOHE about how this is my affecting my credit but I can never get anyone on the phone/they never call me back.

I know it's the only thing negatively affecting my credit because when I tried to purchase a car earlier last year, the dealership asked about this loan.

Can I get this removed from my credit report? It's the only student loan I defaulted on because it was the only one I was unaware of. I'm in good standing otherwise. If so, how can I get this removed!?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can provide!

Quote:

Can I get this removed from my credit report? It's the only student loan I defaulted on because it was the only one I was unaware of. I'm in good standing otherwise. If so, how can I get this removed!?

No you will not get it removed from your credit report. Since you are in default, you are NOT in good standing. You may be making your payments monthly, but they will not be reflected positively on your credit. Has the CA talked to you about rehabbing this account? Or have you looked into consolidating it with your other loans?

Your state guarantor will not talk to you or return your calls because they have assigned you to collections....this is standard.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Fri, 01/06/2012 - 20:39

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )