Skip to main content
index page

Goodwill Letter Advice?

Submitted by ball_mich on Wed, 06/23/2010 - 15:36
Credits:
[Donate]

Horray! I've completed all of my debt settlements. It was a brutal task, but it's done. Now I'm onto the next phase: Credit Repair.

I'm writing a Goodwill Letter which I plan to send out to all of my creditors asking them to remove the negative reporting such as the late payments and settlements. I've read the sample goodwill letter, which was good. I'll do something similar, but a little different, while keeping it relatively short and sweet.

Any advice from those who have successfully done this?

Is there a specific department to address these to, or just the general mailbox?

Any thoughts on how to increase my odds of success?

I'm excited to get this started.

Quote:

Any advice from those who have successfully done this?

Goodwill letters do work. However, it depends on the company, and also your luck :)

Quote:
Is there a specific department to address these to, or just the general mailbox?
You can send the letters to the address listed on your credit report. You can also try to get hold of the addresses of the reporting departments of the credit card companies.

Submitted by SC on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 04:10

SC

( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC
You can send the letters to the address listed on your credit report. You can also try to get hold of the addresses of the reporting departments of the credit card companies.

Is there an easy way to find the credit reporting department? I'll try to do a google search, but is there a better way?

I sent out my first "batch" of goodwill letters late last week. I'll keep updating this thread with results if/when I make progress.

Submitted by ball_mich on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 09:06

ball_mich

( Posts: 360 | Credits: )

Quote:

Is there an easy way to find the credit reporting department? I'll try to do a google search, but is there a better way?
Do you mean to find their addresses? If it is, then the addresses are below:

Equifax address (for disputing):
PO Box 105518
Atlanta, GA 3034

Experian address (for disputing):
P.O. Box 2104
Allen TX 75013

TransUnion address (for disputing):
PO Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

Submitted by SC on Wed, 07/07/2010 - 03:49

SC

( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

The Goodwill Letters go to the creditor, not the Credit Agency, correct? I was really more talking about a division at the credit card company where I should send my goodwill letters to, rather than disputes.

I would dispute the balances, but they are correct, and generally very recent (within the last year and some within the last few months).

Submitted by ball_mich on Wed, 07/07/2010 - 10:38

ball_mich

Update #1: I bombarded my negative reporting creditors with goodwill letters at the end of June and have my first responses.

The first is from BofA and it was a return due to incorrect address. I used the address they put on my credit report for this one, so I just sent it out again with the address from my last credit card statement. Lesson learned, don't use the addresses they list on my credit report, they aren't necessarily accurate.

The second and third response was from both of my Wells Fargo HELOC's (one settled the other still outstanding and a few late payments on the account). Very disappointing. They lumped my letter into a "dispute" and just sent a cookie-cutter response that their reporting was accurate. If they had read the letters, they'd have noted that I was not disputing the reporting. Second round going out today.

This is going to be a long haul.

Submitted by ball_mich on Mon, 07/12/2010 - 14:48

ball_mich

Just read a little bit about the Goodwill letter. What is that? How do you write one? Is it suppose to help get the creditor to take off old paid account's, which mine are just waiting for them to fall off anyway. I would like to get them gone, since I have already paid them off.

Submitted by on Sat, 07/17/2010 - 14:58

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Update #2: Gosh, this is growing old and fast. Three respones and three denials.

Wells Fargo Home Morgage claims they can't change any reporting, including goodwill adjustments, unless something reported was in fact not correct. At least their letter was nice. I've sent them another goodwill request today.

Bank of America just lumped my request into the dipute pile and stated their reporting was correct. I resent the goodwill request today.

United Collections Bureau put a hard inquiry on my account during a collection attempt for Citi. They responded that the pull was "permissable" and that everything was reported correctly. I resent the request to show goodwill and delete this inquiry.

I knew this would take a long time, but this is painful and I've just started recently.

Submitted by ball_mich on Mon, 07/19/2010 - 14:06

ball_mich

For any of those that care, I found Goodwill letters to be an absolute waste of time. I think in total, I sent three rounds of Goodwill letters to all of my creditors. Not a single success.

The most common answer was that they were legally required to report the account accurately and could not delete it. The others sometimes lumped the request in with a standard dispute and just responded that the account was reporting accurately.

If people have had success with this, I haven't seen it, and certainly did not work for me.

Submitted by ball_mich on Fri, 01/20/2012 - 14:28

ball_mich