Skip to main content
index page

Seven Year Itch!

Submitted by Jitterbugg on Fri, 11/26/2010 - 07:52
Credits:
[Donate]

Is it true that accounts will automatically "drop" from your credit report after seven years? Some time ago, I heard from a credit expert on the news that if the original creditor requests to have it renewed before the actual seven years is up, they can do so up to two times meaning that negative accounts can stay on your report up to 21 years!!!! Has anyone ever heard of this???:confused:

Wow, so many different answers. I have a debt on my credit report that goes back to 1993. Way past the limits you speak of here. The lender charged off the debt, and a debt collector picked it up. After that another debt collector picked it up and it seems, as long as a collector picks it up it's not going away and its been 17 years!!

Submitted by Buzzette on Tue, 12/28/2010 - 15:13

Buzzette

( Posts: 401 | Credits: )

well while a debt is owed until the sun goes super nova.the actual time is 7.5 yrs from the last reported payment,or first deliquency.don't know where wefixbad credit got 4yrs from.maybe that is the SOL for certain debts.as for buzzrette unless this is either a student loan,or you made a payment somwhere down the line that should not be on your CR,and should be disputed immediately.

Submitted by paulmergel on Tue, 12/28/2010 - 15:25

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

I'll not deviate from what Paul has suggested. It has to be disputed immediately. These days, I see a lot of things happening. I even hear that the collectors are buying junk debts (that are well past the SOL) and pursuing them. They're probably getting some of us (who aren't aware of the SOL) tempted and succeeding in getting something out of it.

Submitted by Jeorge Preston on Tue, 12/28/2010 - 22:54

Jeorge Preston

( Posts: 180 | Credits: )

tradelines in good standing can remain forever. Charge off's and collection accounts will remain for 7 years + 180 days from the Date of First Default. Period. Not a day longer. If a JDB is reporting a debt charged off 17 years ago then sue their pants off. $2000 per credit report for every month they've been reporting it.

Submitted by NASCAR_Devil on Fri, 12/31/2010 - 00:12

NASCAR_Devil

( Posts: 4671 | Credits: )