Skip to main content
index page

Medical Bill Sent to CA--What do I do?

Submitted by on Tue, 01/15/2013 - 01:46
Credits:
[Donate]

So something told me to randomly check my credit report and I realized the Los Angeles Fire Dept had charged me for an ambulance ride that occurred in February of 2012.

I received NO bills in the mail. I didn't see where they had tried to bill my insurance company. I didn't receive any phones etc. The only bill I received in the mail was from the actual hospital I was sent to and paid them off in a timely manner. I never got anything from the Fire Dept.

I see that as of October 2012, the bill was sent to a collection agency and I owe approximately $1400?

Hell, I haven't even heard anything from the collection agency?

What should I do? What steps should I take? 

I wouldn't have had a problem paying the original bill but I never knew there *was* a bill. My insurance company would've informed them and me that it could not be covered.

I would call the LAFD and explain to them that you and your insurance company never got billed for this, but they had no problems putting it on your credit report! Ask for a copy of the bill and check your credit report after it's paid to ensure that it's not down as a late payment. If it is, dispute it.

Submitted by kscornell on Tue, 01/15/2013 - 11:00

kscornell

( Posts: 4407 | Credits: )

I checked with my insurance company and they never received anything. My insurance company does cover some ambulance rides depending on the medical circumstances.

Submitted by on Tue, 01/15/2013 - 07:43

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )