Skip to main content
index page

Who removes erroneous info, CR agencies or CA's?

Submitted by Rozo on Thu, 03/03/2011 - 09:44
Credits:
[Donate]

I have a telephone bill equalling $5455 that someone used my identity with to open a couple of years ago. It now appears on my credit report. The credit reporting agencies tell me that I have to resolve this first with the CA, since they are the ones that report it to them. I then get told that I have to resolve this with the credit reporting agencies so that they can remove it from my record. Who is right? I have a police report proving that this account was not opened by me, yet I don't know who to contact first to have it removed?

If you have a police report, that is referred to in FCRA lingo as an "identity theft report." See FCRA 603(q).
Once you have an "ideintity theft report," then you can send it to the CRA under the provisions of FCRA 605(B), along with proof of your identity, and a statement that "the information is not information relating to any transaction by the consumer."
That blocks the CRA from including the information in any CR they issue. It is not discretionary on the part of the CRA, it is mandatory.

Submitted by Lian on Thu, 03/10/2011 - 04:14

Lian

( Posts: 234 | Credits: )