Skip to main content
index page

few questions about GC Services....

Submitted by heather1908 on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 16:38
[Donate]

I have a few questions about GC Services. I was hoping someone could help me. They are a very rude company first of all.
I have a student loan that I'm very behind on. It is now in collections with GC. They sent me papers to appeal my case so they wouldn't take my taxes or garnish my wages. I sent them everything they needed last month. I can't afford them to take my taxes (which they did) or garnish my wages because I am a single mom, only working part time at kohls . I've told them all this, they never called me or told me they were taking my taxes. I called them today, the lady was very rude by the way.
She said they can garnish my wages 25%. is that true? Because the papers they sent me it says 15% i told her how much I make. She said I have to pay 103 a month for them not too plus a 950 deposit for not having a checking account. Or 400 if i do have one. That makes no sense. I dont even make 300 in a month right now. But they didn't care.
She said they never got my papers. But I sent them in time.
She aslo said to me that my loan comes first before my son and I should get a second job. Can they say that to me? Or can I tell someone about this?
Do they have a right to take all my tax refund even though I did appeal but they never called to set anything up. And they never sent any papers to my last year.
If someone could help me, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Heather

You are not just behind on the loan, you are in default. When in default, they have every right to seize your taxes. They do not need to send you a notice. And FYI, GC services do not file the lein on your taxes or even receive the funds....that function is in the hands of your guarantor. GC services has no part or role in tax seizure.

They can only garnish your wages 15% and you do not earn enough to be garnished. Is there reason why you are working so few hours?

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 17:47

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Well I talked to new York state higher education who gave me
The loan and they said they didn't seize it GC services did . And when I asked them they said
Call the IRS. I know my loan is in default I just meant I'm behind that's why.
I'm not getting a lot of hours because they cut back after the holidays.
Gc said they sent me papers which I never got last year. I told them how much I make
But they are still garnishing my wages.I know they have the right to take my taxes but I sent the papers telling them it will cause me finical hardship. And I wanted to appeal but they never calked me to do my case over the phone. That's not right.

Submitted by heather1908 on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 18:46

heather1908

( Posts: | Credits: )

When you have a defaulted student loan with the department of education, you have now reached the point where the dept of Ed can nonjudicially garnish and offset you. You need to know your loan or loans are due on full once that happens and now they will recoup the amount owed thru repayment with you or by simply offsetting your taxes or garnishing your wages. I would suggest you open a checking account with a credit union for free or getting some type of card with your name on it to avoid the down payment.

Submitted by on Mon, 04/18/2011 - 15:41

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )