Skip to main content
index page

Sleepless in the Sunshine State

Submitted by Frogpatch on Thu, 02/05/2009 - 00:10
Credits:
[Donate]

Until early this morning insomnia was virtually non existent in my life. I would go to bed and be asleep in seconds and remain in my dream infused state until it was time to reluctantly emerge. Tonight this was not the case. I found myself wide awake at 2:30 in the morning. My mind just refused to stay in retirement until daybreak. It was not that I was dwelling on my life that was recently torn to shreds and fed to the jackals of hell but more of a youthful anticipation of what was next.
When I was a kid growing up in the 50s people would get up in the middle of the night and raid the refrigerator like Ed Norton in the Honeymooners. Strange that obesity was not nearly the problem as it is today. All the TV stations were off the air until the Modern Farmer would come on somewhere around 6 AM. You could twist the radio dial and possibly find a monotonous radio talk show or maybe some music from a far off station but not in the New York burbs where I lived.
There was a song back then by the Shirelles whose words said “the darkest hour is just before dawn.” How did they know that? You can’t measure darkness. Only light down to zero footcandles. Once you hit bottom there is no more graduation and even if you could you would not be able to read the meter without a light.
Living all my life near urban sprawl I only experienced total darkness once in my life when the power went out when I was in the basement one night. It is a scary experience to be completely and suddenly blinded. Some folks spend there whole life like that. Imagine.
So where am I headed with this patter? As I was saying, I awoke with a joyful anticipation of what was to come rather than a fear of an ominous darkness that surrounded me. This was because a voice in my heart was telling me that just on the other side of that darkness was a God that was in control and had a plan yet to be revealed.
For any of you who are awake to read this, good morning, thank you, God bless you and what are you doing up?