Share post
member profile picture

Hi I live in Florida, and someone stole my identity and fraudulently opened an account with Direct Tv, this account became delinquent and was sent to collections. I was not aware of any of this until recently. I heard in your forums that you are entitled to a free report once a year and this is how I found out. It turns out that a person with my same last name (different first name) used my SS# to open an account with them; this person lives a different city in Florida. Immediately I placed a fraud alert on my credit and called the collection agency. The collection agency told me that I must fax a letter to them and attach a copy of the police report (which I have). My question is: Is there a form letter that I can use to send to them? What should I say? Equifax sent me a letter stating that they spoke with Nationwide credit and that they concluded that the item belongs to me. How is this possible when I never authorized this transaction. Please help.

Your Name
Your Address, City, State, Zip Code
Complaint Department

Name of Company
City, State, Zip Code

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. I have circled the items I dispute on the attached copy of the report I received.

This item (identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.) is (inaccurate or incomplete) because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why). I am requesting that the item be removed (or request another specific change) to correct the information.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation, such as payment records, court documents) supporting my position. Please reinvestigate this (these) matter(s) and (delete or correct) the disputed item(s) as soon as possible.

Your name

Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing.)

Sub: #1 posted on Sun, 10/22/2006 - 16:51


(Posts: 1245 | Credits: )

Page loaded in 1.108 seconds.