Skip to main content
index page

Really need some advice re: loan modification

Submitted by at0802 on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 08:43
Credits:
[Donate]

Our mortgage company is GMAC and we've fallen behind a couple of payments and have really been struggling.  Last week they left us a message and when I called back they informed me that we had been approved for a loan modification.  We received the paperwork for this yesterday and I'd really like some input.  Let me say that I feel like this is an answer to our prayers because it would free up a lot of cash for us each month, but the whole reason I'm on this board is because I have always tended to try to fix a problem now and not look at the big picture. Hence my request for advice. 
We took out our mortgage in 7/06.  We have a fixed rate of 6.875% until 8/1/13 at which time the rate will adjust every 6 months.  We are making interest only payments of $2080 (no escrow).  On 9/1/16 this will change and we'll be required to pay both Principal & Interest.
The loan modification is as follows: We'll have a fixed rate of 4.875% until 8/1/13 at which time it will adjust every 6 months. The interest only payments will stay the same until 9/1/16 at which time again we'll be required to pay P & I.  So basically everything is the same except they've lowered our interest rate for the next 4 years.  Our new payment will be $1500.
We also had a lot of credit card debt and last fall I negotiated with our credit card companies to get on 4-5 year reduced interest payment plans so we will be credit card debt-free by the end of 2013.  However with our current mortage payment this is a really big financial drain.
Does the loan modification sound like a good offer?  I tend to think yes, especially since they're offering it to us and we basically just have to sign it and send them a $1500 payment to accept the offer.  They're not requiring anything else.
Sorry so long, but I really value the knowlege and insight of everyoe on these forums. 

Yes!!! This is a good loan mod.?? There are several positives to this.?? You were able to work this out directly with your mortgage company.?? Which means you don't have to spend the money to have an attorney do this for you.?? The other good thing is that they're not asking for any money upfront to put toward the past due amount.??
I understand that your trying to be smart and look at the whole picture.?? Given the economy that is really hard to do at this time.?? There are so many things that could change.??
4.875% is a really good rate!?? If you hadn't been late, you could refinance at 4.75% on a 30 year fix.?? I would say the loan mod you've been offered is good.?? You don't have the cost of refinancing.
I hope this helps.?? Please feel free to ask more if you need to.
??

Submitted by sassy_lil_brandy on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 09:06

sassy_lil_brandy

( Posts: 479 | Credits: )

Thank you, I do appreciate your feedback.?? I doubt we'd even be able to get a good rate if we tried to refinance because of our late payment history before making the deals with the cc companies, and the fact that housing values in our state have dropped so much.?? This seemed too good to be true which is why I wanted to hear from other people in case I'm overlooking something.?? I'm hoping at the end of 2013 we'll have re-established our credit history and maybe will have the option to refinance.

Submitted by at0802 on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 10:40

at0802

( Posts: 4 | Credits: )

In a nutshell, got layed off, fell behind on mortgage, was notified we were in active foreclosure on Dec. 5, 2008, when called WF they said we QUALIFIED for a loan mod but we had to send in $4200. and that would make our new payment due May 2009, at a $50. more a month than we were previously making, and not to make any payments til then, so we sent the money, got no modification, but got a forebearance payment plan at $376. more a month. They never discussed this with me in any of the many calls to WF. Hence we couldn't afford it didn't pay it and they put us back in active foreclosure. Is what they are doing legal. Once foreclosure starts are they allowed to ask for payments?

Submitted by on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 12:06

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Just letting everyone know...

Statistically, 58% of all homeowners who work with their lender will RE-DEFAULT within 6 MONTHS to 1 YEAR. The lender will most often a temporary solution that sounds great, but in the long run, it is beneficial to the lender, not the homeowner. Do not forget who put you in the loan in the first place. The economy is a mess because of ARMs and Interest Only loans. This is called creative financing. Another loan written up under the same guidelines will just give you the same problems down the road.

With a reputable modification company, you may be able to have a lower fixed rate, a principal balance reduction, and lower mortgage payments. Permanently.

This is your home that you're talking about. Unfortunately, unless you are a foreclosure/ real estate lawyer, mortgage professional, or something along those lines, you will not have the know-how to get the best deal possible through your lender.

Submitted by robyn on Mon, 04/06/2009 - 14:18

robyn

( Posts: 19 | Credits: )