Share post
member profile picture

Credits: 0
[Donate]

I received an e-mail yesterday, purportedly from Bank of America (where I have never had an account at any point in my life).

It stated my account had been compromised, and that I should click on the link in the e-mail and sign in, and provide ALL of my personal information (including my SSN) to prove my identity and stop someone from stealing all my money.

I just wanted to make everyone aware of this scam
e-mail making the rounds - someone might actually fall for it and click on the link. The link the e-mail most likely takes you to a site that will LOOK like a Bank of America site, but in fact, is used by hackers to steal your identity, banking information, and therefore, your money.

Be careful out there, folks.

That is pretty bad. Geez---I feel sorry for people who believe anything they see in print and then will fall for scams like this. Thanks!

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 07:50

Lorri Lorri
Moderators
(Posts: 1721 | Credits: )

Sue I think Tammy got one of those e-mails also. There was an article in the paper hear warning on those scams. The AG post a article in the Sunday paper every sunday almost with helpful info. KYSIDE38

Sub: #2 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:31

KYSIDE38 KYSIDE38

(Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

That's great to know, kyside - hopefully no one else falls for this scam. Fortunately, I knew better. I get junk like this in my e-mail all the time. They use scare tactics like this to con you into providing them your personal information.

Sub: #3 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:35

SUEBEEHONEY70 SUEBEEHONEY70
Moderators
(Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Ever got the ones from Nigeria? Like somebody has died and loeft you money? LOL Yeah right all my relatives are poor also. LOL KYSIDE38

Sub: #4 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:38

KYSIDE38 KYSIDE38

Oh yes, I've gotten those - and I actually had one guy from the Philipines send me a bogus money order for something he wanted to buy from me on Ebay. But he wanted me to cash it and then send his "commission" back to him by Western Union...his poor "client" was too poor to raise the money for another money order for his commission. Yeah, right. Mr. Scam Artist, meet Mr. FBI Agent!

Sub: #5 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:39

Moderators

Secret Agent SueBee LOL There was a show on Primetime about scam artist KYSIDE38

Sub: #6 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:44

KYSIDE38 KYSIDE38

I have been getting those kind of emails at work for 2 years. They are a pretty common type of scam. I also get emails that are very realistic replicas of the ebay and paypal website asking to update my account. No bank, or legitimate company would ever ask you to update you information online.

Sub: #7 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:59

Unregistered

I get those e-mails too, JMM - I just forward them to the spoof e-mail address at Ebay and Paypal and let them deal with it. I don't even open them anymore.

Sub: #8 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 09:09

Moderators

Did you forward that email to Bank of America? It might be a small bit of work on your part to find an address, but think that you may be saving someone who you will never meet. Most companies have an email of abuse@.... But check the specific site for the exact address.

Sub: #9 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 11:46

jedijeff13 jedijeff13

(Posts: 1734 | Credits: )

Already did, jedijeff, thanks! I always try to forward scam e-mails like that to the actual company they are trying to represent. I feel it's the least I can do to help the companies out in fighting this stuff.

Sub: #10 posted on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 11:56

Moderators

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.713 seconds.