Skip to main content
index page

Bank of America E-mail Scam

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 07:32
Credits:
[Donate]

I received an e-mail yesterday, purportedly from Bank of America (where I have never had an account at any point in my life).

It stated my account had been compromised, and that I should click on the link in the e-mail and sign in, and provide ALL of my personal information (including my SSN) to prove my identity and stop someone from stealing all my money.

I just wanted to make everyone aware of this scam
e-mail making the rounds - someone might actually fall for it and click on the link. The link the e-mail most likely takes you to a site that will LOOK like a Bank of America site, but in fact, is used by hackers to steal your identity, banking information, and therefore, your money.

Be careful out there, folks.

Sue I think Tammy got one of those e-mails also. There was an article in the paper hear warning on those scams. The AG post a article in the Sunday paper every sunday almost with helpful info. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:31

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

Ever got the ones from Nigeria? Like somebody has died and loeft you money? LOL Yeah right all my relatives are poor also. LOL KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:38

KYSIDE38

Oh yes, I've gotten those - and I actually had one guy from the Philipines send me a bogus money order for something he wanted to buy from me on Ebay. But he wanted me to cash it and then send his "commission" back to him by Western Union...his poor "client" was too poor to raise the money for another money order for his commission. Yeah, right. Mr. Scam Artist, meet Mr. FBI Agent!

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:39

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Secret Agent SueBee LOL There was a show on Primetime about scam artist KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:44

KYSIDE38

I have been getting those kind of emails at work for 2 years. They are a pretty common type of scam. I also get emails that are very realistic replicas of the ebay and paypal website asking to update my account. No bank, or legitimate company would ever ask you to update you information online.

Submitted by on Thu, 12/28/2006 - 08:59

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

At the bank I work at, we have a special department that handles those phishing emails. They also handle those Mexican lottery scams, Nigerian email scams, and that horrible cashiers check thing going around. This time of year, we see alot more of those cashiers checks floating around. Now, we have to ask everyone with a cashiers check about how they received it and what it was for. Some people think we're being nosey, but once we explain why we ask, they're ok with it. The latest one I've seen is when people post on Craigs list for a roomate, and they get a check from some yahoo that wants to move in. It's pretty sad. Once you endorse the back of a check (personal or cashier's check), you're accepting ownership of that item. Even if it turns out that you got scammed. The banks go after these low-lifes with a vengence, though. They've lost MILLIONS becuase of these guys.

Submitted by swedishgirl on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 10:18

swedishgirl

( Posts: 326 | Credits: )

I like clicking on the link to go to their fake website. Then, when you get the login box, I enter the foulest, rudest words I can think of and hit submit. The phishers are usually in a hurry, so you can enter anything you want into the test boxes, cuz they won't create them and numbers only or stuff like that.

Also, some are so dumb that if you view the page source, you can see the email address that you will be "submitting" your information. Always nice to pass that on to the FBI.

Submitted by jedijeff13 on Sun, 12/31/2006 - 13:16

jedijeff13

( Posts: 1734 | Credits: )

We got a virus in our network at work and the whole national network for my company was shut down for a week! Our clinicians are now charting on laptops in the field and some were actually confused at first when IT told them they couldn't bring in anything from home to download on them! Duh!!! But what's really a pain is when you have a worm.

Submitted by kscornell on Sun, 12/31/2006 - 15:16

kscornell

( Posts: 4407 | Credits: )

kscornell - I had that - cost me $70 in a visit to the local computer guy to have it removed. It was a "japanese worm", he said.

My computer would be humming along just fine, then all of a sudden, a little skull and crossbones would pop up and a message would appear that said "smiley says not today!" And then it would start eating files.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Sun, 12/31/2006 - 15:27

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

My husband and I feel for the Bank of america scam back in November of 2006. About $900 was taken out of our account at first but not all at once. My husband is a trucker so I didn't pay much attention at first to the fact of these charges from all over, but then I noticed some happened when he was at home so I investigated. Then another $900 came out in three transactions that caused a bunch of checks and debit purchases to bounce(christmas presents) I was livid that BofA had allowed this to continue eventhough we had turned in all the other charges a few days before. The really bad thing is, BofA held US responsible!!! They never recovered any of our money and they charged us over $1000 in bank NSF fees. We opened an account with a new bank and refused to pay the NSF to Bank of america, but it caused checks to go to the DA locally for nsf that we had to deal with and now if something were to happen we wouldn't be able to get a checking with a new bank I'm sure because BofA probably turned us into Chexsystems. They finally wrote off the NSF, but whos to day they won't still come after us.

Submitted by Hroberts78 on Tue, 05/22/2007 - 23:38

Hroberts78

( Posts: 5 | Credits: )