Skip to main content
index page

New Scam Alert

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Fri, 01/19/2007 - 12:38
Credits:
[Donate]

Hi All,

I wanted to get this out there in case anyone else received this kind of letter. Today, I received a sweepstakes letter from Crown Investment Service out of Canada. It says I had won some international sweepstakes with a check enclosed for payment of the administrative fees. Of course, this set up red flags because the company is actually out of Kent, Ohio. I looked up the area codes listed on the letter and they were from Canada. We've all read about the advance fee scam loans originating from there. I actually called the company and they told me to report it to my local police station. I just wanted to make sure they knew this was going on. They said it had been since last April and government agencies are involved now. This drew red flags up immediately for me when I saw it was from Canada with no return address. I couldn't find any information on the so called sweepstakes company but it sounds like they are just trying to get money for nothing. I just wanted to make people aware in case they receive something like this in the mail. I will have to make a trip to my local police station soon. :twisted:

Thanks for the infor, lets keep each other posted and bring these scam companies down. With no customers to exploit they cannot conduct scams......

Submitted by gsforgrace on Fri, 01/19/2007 - 13:52

gsforgrace

( Posts: 65 | Credits: )

I've kept one letter and fake check I got in the mail a while back. These idiots are clever, the check was written on my mortgage lender's checks and looked legit. But I knew better, I contacted the lender and they were aware of this and said somebody had stolen there account information and were sending their customers these bogus checks.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Fri, 01/19/2007 - 20:42

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

Thanks for the info, Mishele! I'm a suspicious person anyhow, so I always go by the saying"if it sounds too good to be true,it probably is"! I heard somewhere about something like this, and also a rebate scam. They send you this rebate check, and if you cash it, you've just taken out a loan!! Always read, and check it out like Mishele!..Karen

Submitted by Bossy4455 on Sat, 01/20/2007 - 08:06

Bossy4455

( Posts: 5854 | Credits: )

Thanks for the info Mishele. I do agree with Fins its upsetting that maybe the elderly or just someone who dosent know better would be taken advantage of. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Sat, 01/20/2007 - 08:48

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

Here's what I got in my e-mail...

Quote:

Now that we have found you, lets work hand in hand to actualise this.
A family member of yours (perhaps) in Singapore died Twelve years ago
leaving behind an estate/capital of(US$12.5M with interest accrued
till date) in the Bank of East Asia Ltd, Singapore where I work as an
External auditor.

Till date nobody has come forward as an heir or put up an application
for the claim (funds). Recently during the bank's private search for a
relative to the deceased who could claim the said funds, your name
and contact was among our findings that matched the surname of
thedeceased whose name is withheld for security reasons. He died
interstate with no Will or Next of kin to this funds. To maintain the
level of security required for the completion of this transaction, I
have intentionally left out the final detailed information which i
will give you as this transaction progress and your seriousness is
affirmed. I urge you to come forward since I can provide you with the
details you will need to claim the estate/capital and also work
with you till the final remittance of the funds to the account you
will nominate for us, at the end of this transaction the
$12,500,000.00 will now be shared between us as follows.$5,000,000.00
for you and $7,500,000.00 for me and my colleagues that will do all
the crucial part in the Bank to ensure that all legal procedures are
followed as regards the claim and making sure the claim is released
to you promptly with no time wasted.

To affirm your willingness and cooperation to this once in a life
time opprtunity please reply to my private email
Include in your reply mail your FULL NAME, AGE, CONFIDENTIAL
TELEPHONE NUMBERS, PRIVATE FAX NUMBER, PRIVATE EMAIL
ADDRESS AND POSTAL ADDRESS.

I do expect your prompt response.

Thank you,
Chee Yeo

I found it very humorous...lol

Submitted by Jessi on Sat, 01/20/2007 - 13:03

Jessi

( Posts: 3361 | Credits: )

Well, the check did look legit so that is why I called the company who's account the check was supposedly drawn on. I also reported it to my local police station today. It's a good point about the elderly as well. I hate to hear about when things like this happen to them, especially when they are on a fixed income. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Sat, 01/20/2007 - 15:29

Cow & Chicken

( Posts: 3571 | Credits: )

I have an email account that gets ALL sorts of stuff from oversea's..........sheesh! Lost uncles that were big shots & left me *tons n tons* or money, yada....The realy good ones, I respond to!

I get a huge kickout of messing with their minds, lol! Someday, I'll cut n paste some of the replies I've sent out to them. Y'all might get a real chuckle out of them!

Submitted by texasconsumeractivist on Mon, 01/29/2007 - 15:25

texasconsumeractivist

( Posts: 664 | Credits: )