Skip to main content
index page

Scam shame on them!!!!!

Submitted by missyk33 on Mon, 04/16/2007 - 06:10
Credits:
[Donate]

Dont know where to put this so here goes...Last week, we received in the mail an envelope with a check in it and a letter stating that we had won a lottery and that this check was to help pay the taxes on it. I immediately knew this was a scam for a couple of reasons. 1) It was made out to my 13 year old daughter and 2)we never entered a lottery. It really burns me up that someone could do that to someone especially my daughter. If she had opened that letter before I did, she would have been really upset when she found out that it was a scam. It was a lot of money and for a 13 year old she would have been on cloud nine shopping. It bothers me that people would have actually cashed or deposited that check and then wound up having to pay back that money. It looked like a real check. It was drawn on a bank in Texas and the company was an oilfield supply in Texas. Had routing numbers and account and the blue security fibers in it. Melissa

Thank god you were proactive and didn't let your daughter fall in trouble. You should always research the company before taking such offers. Since you never applied for a lottery, I don't think they sound legit.

I will say you may discuss about this matter with your daughter and make her aware that she should not sign for any such things when you are not with her. She will understand that you are with her when she needs you.

Submitted by Bony on Mon, 04/16/2007 - 09:03

Bony

( Posts: 287 | Credits: )

I get emails all the time saying that I have won the U.K. national lottery. How would they have even known I had a ticket? This is similar to the "Nigerian scam" which has been around since the 1980s. You know, the email from some general's daughter, or some other such person who wants to transfer $4 million into your checking account. Then they scam you for a few thousand dollars in "transfer fees". I'm following a trial which has started in Tennessee, where a Baptist minister and his wife were caught up in this. She snapped, and shot him in the head with a shotgun.

Law Student
San Francisco, California

Submitted by Law Student on Tue, 04/17/2007 - 20:30

Law Student

( Posts: 1182 | Credits: )

I get the same emails for the UK National Lottery and I have it set up they go into my bulk/trash file so I just delete them. We also get those nice postcards in the mail that say they have been trying to reach us and to please call (some 800 number) as soon as possible. It is usually signed by someone and my have congratultions written on it or have some claim number on it. Heck, they even come in my kids names! I have told them under no circumstances were they to respond to them. It is a shame because so many people do fall for these scams!

Submitted by 2nband on Wed, 04/18/2007 - 05:38

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

I know Gerber use to sale names. So if you've ever used Gerber, you're probably getting notices. This was ages ago, and they were sued. I'm not sure if they still sell names anymore or not.

I'm still trying to figure out the name of the company sending out those price notices. Or an 800#. I'd like to do a little research of my own about it.

Submitted by Teleport on Wed, 04/18/2007 - 06:40

Teleport

( Posts: 1388 | Credits: )

We get things in from Gerber all the time and have for years, but I know we have never used their insurance or anything from them. I know I am going to have to change my cell phone number because I am constantly getting calls on there from telemarketers. I have been getting calls about refinancing our mortgage and we have not requested anything like that since we were having some problmes right after I came back to work from having surgery. They are making it sound like we just applied to have things refinanced. I keep telling these people when I am ready to try to refinance, I will find my own person and not from someone who calls me because they "received" my information from their research department.

Submitted by 2nband on Wed, 04/18/2007 - 07:07

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )