Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Budgeting and Personal Finance forums

Frugal ways to feed your pets/livestock

member profile picture
Credits: 0
[Donate]

Anyone have any tips on how to frugally feed your pets and/or livestock? I know what I do, but am curious about other folks out there who are feeling the financial pinch like me!

We have reptiles and Ts so we breed our own crickets and a friend of our breeds his own mice for feeding. So we exchange each thing. Also we have been looking into feed raw for our cats and dogs.

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 10/30/2008 - 17:56

jeoestreich jeoestreich

(Posts: 216 | Credits: )

we have hunting dogs (quite a few of them) and feed flesh to ours. We have a small deer processing / farm slaughterhouse near us and are able to pick up (for free) all of the carcases that we want. Rib cages, spinal collumns, heads, legs, feet, etc. We were feeding kibble during the summer when the dogs are "off" during the non-hunting season and had started excercising them and they were dragging their feet. A few days back on flesh and they are raring to go. We feed Vegetables twice a week and they get bread periodically. All of this is free or very cheap from markets and farmers in the area. Yes, it takes some work but cheap and free is good enough reason for me!

Sub: #2 posted on Fri, 10/31/2008 - 07:39

smo65d11 smo65d11

(Posts: 1468 | Credits: )

i have made dog food out of rice and chicken before when i was running low on money to buy dog food. i only have one dog and it's not much to feed him.. the vet bills, though are something to save up for :(

Sub: #3 posted on Fri, 11/21/2008 - 06:35

bea2ls bea2ls
Moderators
(Posts: 3840 | Credits: )

I have seen people requesting freezer burned meats on freecycle for their dogs. That sent me looking in the bowels of my freezer and low and behold!!...freezer burned beef. Cooked it up for my dog and he loved it! I have let friends know and I couple of times I have been gifted with old meat! Hey...my dog loves it11

Sub: #4 posted on Fri, 11/21/2008 - 07:14

SOAPLADY SOAPLADY
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17272 | Credits: )

i always buy my chi puppy chow as advised by thr vet..i love my pup and want to keep him healthy..is the stuff you guys made healthy?

Sub: #5 posted on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 18:53

Unregistered

Chicken or beef and brown rice with some veggies thrown in...healthier than most commercial stuff on the market!!

Sub: #6 posted on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 19:43

SOAPLADY SOAPLADY
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17272 | Credits: )

i agree, when i give my dog (who i love more than mostly anyone lol) chicken and rice, i know it is healthier than the purina i usually give him.. i do it at least once a week because he has allergies and it is gentle on his stomach.

Sub: #7 posted on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 06:08

bea2ls bea2ls
Moderators

I feed my cats every other day to save money...

Just kidding!

Sub: #8 posted on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 08:45

regbyandjulie regbyandjulie

(Posts: 144 | Credits: )

i wanted to bump this. i recently started feeding my dog a raw diet, all uncooked meat and some veggies. his allergies have gotten unbearable and vet bills went through the roof! some have asked if this is healthy and after my research on dog food I feel 100% confident this is the best thing for me to do. His ears itch less, he chews on his paws less, and if you ask a butcher, etc. it is cheaper - especially if your dog needs food without grain, which many dogs are allergic to.

Sub: #9 posted on Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:33

bea2ls bea2ls
Moderators

If vet bills went thru the roof and the dogs allergies were unbearable, how can you say it is healthy

Sub: #10 posted on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 05:42

Unregistered

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 1.126 seconds.