Share post
member profile picture
Posts: 1468
Credits: 0

I was given a bad check last year for some work I did as an independent contractor. It is for over $800, the account is closed, the company is out of business. Does anyone know if I have any recourse anywhere? I live in Missouri and the business / bank account are in Georgia.

You should contact your local county attorney's office to find out what you need to do. There has got to be a way for you to recoup the $800.00 for the services that you performed.

Sub: #1 posted on Sat, 08/09/2008 - 13:38

ladybug ladybug

(Posts: 2757 | Credits: )

I'm with Ladybug on this. Failing all else, you can take the face value of the check as a bad debt on your federal Schedule C. How old is the check, and how many times did you present it for payment?

Sub: #2 posted on Sat, 08/09/2008 - 20:00

unclewulf unclewulf
(Posts: 3172 | Credits: )

It is 15 months old now, and I had gone to the prosecuting attorney for my county a year ago. They said because it was an out of state check, all they could do was send her a letter. They did, and the responsed came back that the person did not respond, and that even if she had, they couldn't do anything as there was no drivers license number on the check so they couldn't verify who actually wrote the check. It was signed very clearly by the person who owns the business, but that didn't seem to matter.

It wasn't just the hours I was out, it was that I had to drive 7 hours and stay overnight in a hotel to do the work, so I was also out the hotel fee and gas money. I had done some work for the same company before and they were fine, but apparently they had done that sort of thing before and I was unlucky enough to get suckered into it.

Dishonest people really piss me off!

Sub: #3 posted on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 06:11

smo65d11 smo65d11

(Posts: 1468 | Credits: )

I'm sorry to hear that has happened.. there isn't anything else they could do for you?

Sub: #4 posted on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 09:02

bea2ls bea2ls
(Posts: 3840 | Credits: )

No, they just said "don't take out of state checks" ... helpful advice after the fact, eh?

Sub: #5 posted on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 09:27

smo65d11 smo65d11

(Posts: 1468 | Credits: )

yea, i wish i could offer better advice myself - i was just really surprised to hear that there was nothing they could do..

Sub: #6 posted on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 09:29

bea2ls bea2ls
(Posts: 3840 | Credits: )

They said I could go to Georgia and file small claims there, but considering that I live 10 hours from the county she lives in now, plus the small claims fees are around $80, and with no guarantee I'd be paid, it just seems fruitless. nice that I ended up giving away FREE labor, eh?

Sub: #7 posted on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 09:36

smo65d11 smo65d11

(Posts: 1468 | Credits: )

My honest opinion on this from the information you've provided is to find out if the business owner was incorporated or LLC. If they were in a trade that requires a license you might have been BONDED - INSURED so you can contact your state BONDED - INSURED licenses regulators.

If they don't have it you should just move on. But if they were not incorporated you might be able to take them to small claims court but I would investigate to make sure they have the ability to pay.

You don't want to put new money going after old money.

Sub: #8 posted on Wed, 08/10/2011 - 05:38

sawilliams sawilliams

(Posts: 10 | Credits: )

This post is 3 years old...

Sub: #9 posted on Wed, 08/10/2011 - 10:27

OhioGal1 OhioGal1
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 5253 | Credits: )

Dis appointed to hear what happened , but bad checks can't be done anything unless you know the person ...atleast try contacting the bank of the check issuer if you could get any more info ?

[COLOR="Red"][Link removed per Terms of Service] ~ OG[/COLOR]

Sub: #10 posted on Mon, 09/10/2012 - 10:05

ceo.kohere ceo.kohere

(Posts: 7 | Credits: )

Page loaded in 0.168 seconds.