Skip to main content
index page

loan money to a friend

Submitted by ladybug on Thu, 08/21/2008 - 16:47
Credits:
[Donate]

My husband loaned our friend's wife $200.00 to retain an attorney for her son's girlfriend (confusing right). Her father had passed away and she has a wicked step-mother who was giving his stuff to her own biological daughter one day after he died and told his own daughter (who happens to be an only child) she wasn't allowed into his house. Her mother died several years ago. I know giant mess. Anyway he loaned her the money to retain an attorney because the father didn't have a will, has lots of rental properties and lots of money in the bank.

I am not good at confronting people about money that they owe, that is why I could never be a debt collector. How do we ask her to pay him back. She was suppose to pay him back out of her next check which I know she got paid this week. I tried calling her several times yesterday but she has caller id and conviently enough didn't answer. Help any advice would be greatly appreciated.

OHHHHH hard one....this is why I never "lend" money...If someone needs something and I can "give it" to them I do. But if I can't afford to lose it I don't give it. I know that may sound bad, but I've been burnt before. The old, "I'm not home when you called" trick....I honestly don't think there is an easy way to ask for the money back. I think you are going to need to be straight forward and just remind them what the arrangement was.

Submitted by lmale on Thu, 08/21/2008 - 16:57

lmale

( Posts: 742 | Credits: )

I think the best way to handle this is to be right up front with her, ladybug. I know she's going through a tough time, but she has to realize she still has an obligation to repay what you loaned her.

If you can meet her face to face, simply say, "We realize you're really going through a tough time right now, but I really hope you understand that the money we loaned you was a loan, and will need to be repaid. Can we work out a payment arrangement where you repay part of the loan in one week and the rest a week later?"

Or something like that....maybe it would be helpful if you could offer her a way to repay it that would be a little easier?

Just a thought.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 08/21/2008 - 17:00

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

It is unfortunate when you find out who your true friends are. Like we had an extra $200.00 just lying around to loan her. I can honestly say that I won't be calling her anytime soon. If she does come and pay us the money I would be surprised but I know in my heart that she won't. It makes me sad :cry:

Submitted by ladybug on Sat, 08/23/2008 - 13:05

ladybug

( Posts: 2753 | Credits: )