Skip to main content
index page

AMEX + Jaffe/Asher + Suttel and Hammer???

Submitted by europeanplates on Mon, 10/03/2011 - 20:48
[Donate]

Forum,

I have been working to pay of an old Amex bill for the last year and now have a court case with Suttell and Hammer (not sure how)

Here are the details. I owed AMEX 16,000 and as of today owe 9600.00 I have been paying them regularly and up until February thought there was no issue, as payment continued to them and statements where being mailed to me. In March I get a letter from a company called Suttle and Hammer notifying me of the debt and asking for payment. I called AMEX at once and they told me the account was charged off, I asked when since I was never contacted about a charge off or anything else regarding this? They told me to contact a company named Jaffe and Asher which I did. The gentlemen there said he would look into the case and see if they sent it out to Suttel and Hammer!

Months past with no response and me continuing to pay AMEX and recieving statements. I emailed back and forth with JAffe and Asher asking why this was charged off + sending letters and disputing the charge off with equifax. Jaffe and Asher said he would see what he could do and now no response. Letters sent to BBB about AMEX came back with a standard form letter never addressing my concern of the charge off.

I now have recieved a letter stating a court case was filed by Suttell and Hammer. I have not recieved any letters from Jaffe and Asher to my responses(sent certified) nor AMEX (sent certified) or equifax (sent dispute there there system) and last have recieved nothing from suttel and hammer indicating anything else Since June 1st.

There is in fact a court case in the Washingtion courts. What should I do, please help!!

Thank you

T

Quote:

I have been working to pay of an old Amex bill for the last year and now have a court case with Suttell and Hammer (not sure how)

The way I read this, the AMEX bill is "old: which equals a "charge off". At some point in time you got behind and went past the point of no return in AMEX's eyes. Correct?

You sent your payments to AMEX, who had already forwarded it to a collection agency/law firm. It was then forwarded to a law firm in your state for litigation. You continued to make your payments to AMEX although they would have been sending a pay direct to the collection agency/law firm. The payment automatically rolls the account out days, which is probably why you didnt hear from the collection agency. You have been writing to parties who are not going to respond....your inquiries should have been directed to the law firm who is now suing you. And as far as I see, you dont have grounds for a dispute with Equifax unless I am missing something here....

You need to answer the summons and show up in court ...unless you settle out of court, expect to have a judgment rendered against you. Best case senario would be a contingency judgment.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Mon, 10/03/2011 - 21:37

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Hello,

Correct on being behind with Amex. However the payment where not forwarded off to the collection company. They specifically show on my statements. As well AMEX never notified me of a chargeback or anything for that matter!

Suttell and Hammer who notified me in March made one attempt which I responded to telling there attempt was not valid and I was making payment to AMEX.

Amex mid year notified me to contact Jaffe and Asher only!!

Now how can this company file a court case without sending any documentation? I plan to call the courts tomorrow to see what and how to respond.

Thank you

T

Submitted by europeanplates on Mon, 10/03/2011 - 22:57

europeanplates

( Posts: | Credits: )

Even though you were making payments to AMEX, the collection agency was having the payment forwarded as a pay direct. They would have been getting credit for the payment and it would still show on your AMEX statement. As with most collection software, the payment rolled out the another 30 days...that is why they were not calling you. A first notice was probably sent out right at placement .

Suttel notified you in March that they were collecting and it sounds like you did not believe them.

As I said before, unless you can settle this or pay it in full before the court date, expect a judgment to be rendered in AMEX's favor.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Tue, 10/04/2011 - 04:50

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )