Skip to main content
index page

confused

Submitted by prewitt mitchell on Sat, 04/10/2010 - 07:58
[Donate]

I recently received a letter from an attorney about a billed I've owed since 2005. The debt was $7000. I ignored this debt because it showed a $0 balance on my credit report but also said "purchase/other lender". I never paid this debt. I contacted Green Path Debt Solution who advised me to contact the attorney. The attorney ordered me to a pay-off of the entire debt in 4 years. My question is, should I contact one of these debt solution places that promises to cut my debt and pay-off time?:?

Mitchell,
You really has the debt,right?
So,legally you have to pay.You/your lawyer may argue before the court of law "I never knew this debt because it showed a $0 balance on my credit report "
But,it will not work in favor of you totally.
We dont know about your current financial condition,your job etc...
But,best way is to consult a separate attorney before talking with the attorney who sent you the bill.
Coming to your question "should I contact one of these debt solution places that promises to cut my debt and pay-off time?"

That really depends upon your current economic condition.Consult an attorney first,to find the legally safe corner for yourself.

Submitted by dr.abhishek_ghosh on Sat, 04/10/2010 - 12:16

dr.abhishek_ghosh

( Posts: 5 | Credits: )

I would recommend ignoring the Dr...he is in India and doesnt seem to understand credit in the US.

Green Path is a non profit debt management program. From what I researched, complaints are minimal and they do seem to have some half decent credentials. If you cannot negotiate and do it yourself, I would probably recommend Greenpath or some other non profit consumer credit counselling service. There are other "for profit" debt settlement companies but most of them are rip offs.

Statutue of limitations in MI is 6 years...

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 04/10/2010 - 21:00

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by prewitt mitchell
I recently received a letter from an attorney about a billed I've owed since 2005. The debt was $7000. I ignored this debt because it showed a $0 balance on my credit report but also said "purchase/other lender". I never paid this debt. I contacted Green Path Debt Solution who advised me to contact the attorney. The attorney ordered me to a pay-off of the entire debt in 4 years. My question is, should I contact one of these debt solution places that promises to cut my debt and pay-off time?:?

If you have not already, you should send debt validation letter. I think you can also negotiate with Lawyer to settle for less.

Submitted by OZZIE69 on Mon, 04/19/2010 - 13:11

OZZIE69

( Posts: 555 | Credits: )