Skip to main content
index page

How are people managing in this economy?

Submitted by bea2ls on Mon, 05/03/2010 - 11:40
Credits:
[Donate]

Hey, I posted this here as I do not want the usual trolls to call me a deadbeat, etc. But seriously, how are people who are struggling getting by? I am a month behind on rent, and owe this month's rent as well.. I have about $1000 or so in legal bills and all other sorts of bills I am behind on.
I got behind because I was sick so often this year.. a back injury put me out of work for a whole week, I currently have strep throat, I had several other illnesses this year and I lost time at work and got behind on all bills.
My landlord has been understanding, but I know an eviction notice will come soon. I was keeping in touch but my phone is shut off now and I honestly have nothing to update him on.
Some suggested taking a personal loan since I have a bulk of debt that needs to be handled asap but a. i do not want to take on more debt and b. i doubt i would qualify with anyone legit. How are people handling this? Once I get back on track I will be able to pay my bills again.
My landlord suggested I call some community resources but all have turned me down because I do not have children.

I am so sorry to hear of your struggle Bea! You will be in my prayers!
I am appalled at the stories I hear of people who are penalized for not having children! In Florida 300.00 per week is the unemployment max but it is too high to qualify you for medicaid or food stamps unless you have children or fit in another predetermined slot reserved for I am not sure who! We can bail out corporations but not starving Americans! Why did you get me started? My management office where I live has taken a hard line on the renters in this economy! Three days grace and then the eviction procedures start! They used to let you pay a late fee and go to the third Friday in the month! But because so many are running late they are cracking down! Thats sad!
My unemployment will run out ot the end of this month if they dod not pass a tier V. I have gone back to school at 60 to start a new career! It is going to be tough if my checks run out before I take my exam! I have tried dozen ways to make ends meet as has my wife! Please go to change.org and sign the 99ers petition to push for a Tier V bill!
Thanks for starting this thread Bea2ls!

Submitted by Frogpatch on Mon, 05/03/2010 - 12:09

Frogpatch

( Posts: 5381 | Credits: )

thanks for everything, frog :)
i do not understand about the children thing neither.. i felt kinda cold bringing that up in the past because it is not a child's fault that their parents are poor.. but it seems unfair, especially since i know people with children who take advantage (for example, I know someone who gets 100% free rent and college tuition because she has a child that she does not even live with!)

Submitted by bea2ls on Mon, 05/03/2010 - 13:34

bea2ls

( Posts: 3840 | Credits: )

i spoke with my landlord yesterday, he said he's going to the courthouse today to start the eviction process. :(
he did not give me written notice but i promised him money on the 28th.. than everything fell through and i did not have the money. i told him to just start it.. perhaps i can qualify with aid with it.
i just feel so responsible.. i have dealt with homeless in the past and i just feel like this is all my fault.. i care for my disabled brother who keeps getting turned down for disability so in the state's eye he should be working plus my dogs are like children to me and i just need to save this place :(

Submitted by bea2ls on Tue, 05/04/2010 - 07:27

bea2ls

Quote:

Originally Posted by bea2ls
i spoke with my landlord yesterday, he said he's going to the courthouse today to start the eviction process. :(

What state do you live in? Do you have state disability? Have you run out of unemployment? You can get a Tracfone free and just use whatever minutes you actually need to keep in touch with your creditors. My phone runs me 21.99 a month.

Can you find any food banks in your area? Also, catholic charities helps people with their utility/rent. You don't have to be catholic.

Is there a relative you can borrow from? I would transfer my points to you to help out but I have only 343 right now.:(

Submitted by aubrey on Tue, 05/04/2010 - 07:40

aubrey

( Posts: 1203 | Credits: )

Has your brother entrusted his disability appeal to one of those lawyers who will represent clients deal with social security? They will take the case on a contingency.

My daughter was denied this year (after waiting for a year for their decision) and we now have an attorney for the appeal. He already reveiwed her paperwork and took the case.

Submitted by aubrey on Tue, 05/04/2010 - 07:43

aubrey

( Posts: 1203 | Credits: )

I suggest that you find a mormon church in your area. They have a complete welfare program and you don't have to be mormon. If you need food they have the Bishop's Storehouse with food grown and canned at their own canneries (really good stuff I hear), also meat from their ranches.

In addition they will pay your rent and utilities for you. In exchange you will have to do some work either at the local ward (like a parish). Their welfare program is fantastic and they will help you get back on your feet without judgement.

I live in Salt Lake City and have known a few people who have used this program while in crisis. As a matter of fact, some of my renters have used it in the past as the rent checks were from the local ward. Please try this and relieve some of your stress. That is what is making you so sick all the time.

My thoughts are with you and I wish you the very best.

Submitted by Debt Free to Be on Tue, 05/04/2010 - 19:39

Debt Free to Be

( Posts: 412 | Credits: )

Sorry to hear what is going on with you bea2ls. It is ridiculous. I live in Michigan and the so called poor here have free cell phones, and state money cards,health insurance and eat better than my family. I stand in line behind them and carts are full of steaks and all three are on cell phones. Unbelivable.

You need to keep looking for help. We send billions to other countries and let our own starve.

Good Luck

Submitted by OZZIE69 on Wed, 05/05/2010 - 10:19

OZZIE69

( Posts: 555 | Credits: )

i got my eviction notice.. i thought in NJ he had to give me something in writing first than go to the courts, i do not know though.. i need like $1600 by May 21.. i keep trying to figure out what i could have done better, i do not know.. thanks for everyone's encouragement though.

Submitted by bea2ls on Sat, 05/08/2010 - 10:10

bea2ls

I am from New Jersery (born, raised and lived there for 50 years) originally and from what I remember the eviction process there can take months and judges are very reluctant to put people on the street if they are making an effort! Where in NJ do you live! PM me the info if you want it to remain private! Do you have any income at all? I am going to see if there is a homeless intervention program there!

Submitted by Frogpatch on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 09:54

Frogpatch

( Posts: 5381 | Credits: )

i will post this on the other thread, too but i just wanted to thank everyone so much for their support, generosity and all around love. :)

as you might have guess, i did not get evicted. i was given money to cover my rent by a very lovely friend who actually found my thread here (i did not know anyone i knew came to this board but my screen name here is the same as my email, etc. and she figured it out). that is again to say how lovely this board is. strangers that i mostly never met in real life helped me and it is seriously the only way i made it through.
i will pay forward when i can but for now i just cannot believe the love i found here.

i paid what i owed for eviction than my beloved dummy dog ate a chew toy so the rest of the money went to his surgery and i am a bit behind again. go figure, so is life. but i am not scared this time, my hope and faith has been renewed and i just wanted to say thanks again.

Submitted by bea2ls on Wed, 06/09/2010 - 14:43

bea2ls

I've been away from these forums for a while as I adjust to unemployed life and trying to get by myself. I'm glad things worked out for you. I admit I came THIS close to going the PDL route again, but knowing what I learned from being here, I just couldn't do it. I put my faith in God to get me though just has He's done many times before...and he did, and still does.

I'm glad your dog's okay, too.

Submitted by Icon on Sat, 06/19/2010 - 10:11

Icon

( Posts: 185 | Credits: )