Skip to main content
index page

Alleged charge on Loss of Use and Diminution of Value

Submitted by Hal Zhu on Mon, 08/09/2010 - 12:54
[Donate]

[COLOR=black]Dear friends at DebtCC:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Are there anyones who experienced below and can be of help?:confused: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I bumped onto a door of a rental car on a parking lot. My insurance company covered about $1000 for the minor repairs (by restoring the dent and painting). Two months late, I received a bill (about $500) from the Car Rental Company for the bill that my insurance company refused to pay: 1) Loss of Use, 2) Diminution of Value, 3) Administrative Fees (my insurance company also indicated that they could not cover these claims under my policy). [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]The Car Rental Company's explanations are: 1) Loss of Use for the simple downtime of the vehicle that the Car Rental Company cannot rent out during the time of repair; 2) the value of car is diminished in a resale market as a result of the accident and repair, for an estimated 20% of physical damage; 3) the Car Rental Company's normal business is renting a car, not processing claims, and therefore, the administrative fees are valid.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]In response, I requested the following:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1) Documentary proof of the the Loss of Use that was indeed incurred to the Car Rental Company during the time of repair.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]2) Independent appraisal that conforms the 20% of physical damage.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I also replied that administrative fees are not applicable.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]They did not provide me the requested documentation for the loss of use or independent appraisal. They threatened me to take the alleged claim to a collection agency, if not paid. I do not feel that it is a fair bill for me to pay. I do not feel that the alleged claim is valid without proof. Please advice on what actions I need to take, and what actions the Car Rental Company may take. What a collection agency can do to me for the alleged claim without valid proof? How would I properly respond to the rental car company or to a collection agency on the alleged debt? Thanks so much in advance![/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Hal[/COLOR]

The car rental company may send this to collections. The collection agnecy on their part will try collecting the money. Quote:

What a collection agency can do to me for the alleged claim without valid proof?
The collection agency can do nothing without validating the debt.

[QUOTE][COLOR=black]How would I properly respond to the rental car company or to a collection agency on the alleged debt?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]I think you have done the needful in regards to the car rental company. However, if this goes to collections you can send the CA a debt validation letter.

Submitted by SC on Sat, 08/14/2010 - 03:42

SC

( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )