Skip to main content
index page

Settlement vs Payment Plan

Submitted by Jay Seeder on Fri, 09/24/2010 - 16:42
Credits:
[Donate]

I've been offered a payment plan by AMEX, but my goal is to eventually settle with them. So I told them I don't have the income to set up a payment plan, and I've continued to not pay so I can save up for a future settlement.

If I propose a settlement and tell them I can pay a lump sum settlement payment, will they start to doubt my story of not being able to afford a payment plan and subsequently not agree to settle? Has anyone experienced this?

Jay

When I started my settlement journey, I told my creditors I had a lump sum of money to work with to settle all of my debts and would only be able to settle with those where a mutually acceptable agreement could be reached. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It's really none of their business where the money came from. For all they know, you borrowed it from a relative.

Submitted by OhioGal1 on Mon, 09/27/2010 - 07:43

OhioGal1

( Posts: 5253 | Credits: )

Well, my concerns became a reality. When I told AMEX that I had money to settle with, they "decided" themselves that I thus had money to pay my overdue amount to get my account current. I explained that my financial situation is permanent and if I use this money to continue to pay monthly payments, I'll be back in the same situation in a short period of time where I can't afford the monthly payments anymore. Except then I won't have anything to try to settle the account with.

Even though they knew I was right, they didn't care and pushed real hard to get a payment out of me. They told me that I can afford the monthly payments but am choosing not to pay.

I held strong, though, and didn't buy into their coercion. From other posts I understand that I won't get anywhere with AMEX and will have to eventually settle with the CA. So thanks to the folks on this site for helping me stay postive and hopeful through this process.

Jay

Submitted by Jay Seeder on Thu, 10/07/2010 - 11:09

Jay Seeder

( Posts: 14 | Credits: )

Way to go "[URL="http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/member.php?u=231459"]Jay Seeder[/URL]"

Stick to your guns and hold your ground.

You've got the right mental toughness to get through this.

Those goons at american depression will try to squeeze, cajole and shame you along with any other tricks from their book of bs.

Carry on.
And keep us posted.

Regards,
King "Kash"Jabba Labba

Submitted by King Jabba Labba on Sun, 11/14/2010 - 09:03

King Jabba Labba

( Posts: 507 | Credits: )