Skip to main content
index page

What do I do once a judgement has been issued against me?

Submitted by kdestef on Fri, 10/15/2010 - 08:18
Credits:
[Donate]

A couple of years ago AMEX came after me for money I owed on their credit card. I had lost my job and was not making the income I used to make. I was able to find employment, but I am making about half of what I used to make and was never able to pay this debt back since I was trying to keep a roof over my head and pay utilities, food, etc.

I did the ultimate no,no and ignored it. I did file a response, but when it was set for court I didn't show and AMEX got a judgement against me. They found my Chase account and funny enough, they tried to pull the money when my mortgage payment went through (which was only $568). Because my mortgage company beat them to it, I didn't have the money in the account anymore. So "ever so generously" Chase fronted me the money (for a fee) to pay the money AMEX tried to pull. So now I owe Chase!!

Recently I received a credit alert that a new suit or judgement was added to my credit file. I called my local county courthouse (which was able to look state wide) and the only thing they found was this old judgement from AMEX. My question is, can they start the process over again of finding my accounts and taking money? Will they be able to do this over and over again as long as they have the judgement? Don't they have to go back to court to reissue another withdrawal on my account and will I be notified? And last, what do I need to do if they are starting the process again? As I explained above, I barely make enough to make ends meet let alone pay this debt unfortunately, but I can't have them reaching into my accounts taking money intended for my mortgage or food. What do I do? Contact them? Wait? Help!!!